Starry173
Topic Starter
Trying to avoid digging my hole any deeper. This is a Windows XP SP2 PC. There were a lot of critical updates, including IE8. I didn't turn off Norton Internet Security and I should have done IE8 separately. Anyway, it appeared to go through all the updates OK…but when I went back in, I wanted to update the Flash, so I visited Adobe.com and the PC freezed on me…had to use Taskmgr to get rid of IE8 and some dump processes that started up, using all the resources. I decided to uninstall IE8. It warned me that it was going to affect other updates, including that big .Net update…I went ahead anyway. So then I was back to IE7 with the same problem. So then I did a system restore back to before I started all this…that was successful, but same results. Firefox is running fine. I manage to use other sources to install the Flash player in IE7 and could successfully go to places like youtube and play films, BUT, any attempt to access adobe.com ended in IE7 freezing up. Plus, in looking at Internet Options, I am thinking I may have parts of IE8 still in place, since the options reminded me more of an IE8 updated system.
So…..I'm wondering where to go from here. At the moment, the PC is basically functional but damaged in some way. And why is Adobe.com so affected by what happpened? Perhaps, after doing a backup, I should try to do a repair of the operating system using the Windows disc? I would then have to go through many many updates including SP2. Any ideas before this hole I am digging gets any worse?