This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

I E keeps closing [crashing]

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

What factors would make Internet Explorer keep closing unexpecttedly? It will only stay open about 30 seconds. This occurs in any version of IE. Last night I uninstalled Foxfire and then uninstalled IE 8 hoping to get it back to a point it would function normally. No luck. I ultimately went back to IE 6. Then installed IE 7. This all started 2 days ago when I tried to upgrade to IE 8 and also try Foxfire. Foxfire would work OK. But I ike IE better. All suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks. Robt
I have seen many episodes of ie crashing, and the greatest cause appears to be the incompatibility of add ons to it, but it's usually hit and miss finding whats wrong. One thing to try is disabling the add ons for it, these can be numerous, and not all of them are ones you would be aware of, not sure about ie6, been a long time since I touched that now, but in ie7 and ie8 you can click on Tools then Manage Add-ons, then try disabling them all, if the browser stops crashing then add them back 1 at a time and see how it goes, if it suddenly starts crashing after adding something back then that is likely the guilty party. Try that and see if it helps, if you still have problems after trying this then have a look at the event viewer and see if any error's are recorded ion there, if there are reply back here with them and hopefully they will hold clues as to the cause, to get to this you click on Start - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer, hope that helps.
all add-ons are disabled. the event view results are attached. There was nothing shown under IE Keep hearing a "blip" sound and it momentarily freezes whatever I'm doing. Even when IE isn't open. Also suddenly my number lock won't hold. I suspect other things are happening. thanks for your help and any futher suggestions you can offer. Robt
Well if the event log offers no clues it wont be easy to find out whats going on, have you tried looking under each of the setting's on the left to see if they tell us anything ? You may need to scroll down a bit depending on how long since the last issue you have a look, but do check out each of the events sections to see if something else is causing this. Can you think of when this started to happen ? had you done\added\removed anything just before this happened ? I see you went through the various ie browsers to try and find a stable one, but as a thought have you tried using system restore to a point before things started going wrong ?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI