Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91631 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IE and Firefox keep crashing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jmccomas

jmccomas

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hi,

I hope someone can help. My browsers (IE and Firefox) both keep crashing. I thought it was some malware or a virus, but having worked with Ken from the site nothing can be found. The test logs etc can be found at http://forums.whatth...howtopic=124685.

They tend to crash after a few minutes of page hopping, or when using pop ups like the messengers boxes in Facebook. I have tried reinstalling both browsers, but they still fail.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give.
Thanks in advance,

James

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

Hello jmccomas,

Start by taking Firefox back to it's default settings.

Now take IE back to it's default settings. Now see if the problem still exists as default is the best starting point to analysis the problem.

Cheers,
Lee

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#3 jmccomas

jmccomas

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

Hi Lee, I tried that and the problem persists... Thanks, James

#4 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

Does this crashing only occur while browsing? If so, what security programs are you running and do they have any 'HIPS' features engaged? Try disabling any/all HIPS (active security filtering) features running.

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#5 jmccomas

jmccomas

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:45 AM

Hi, Yes, it only happens when browsing, normnally after a few minutes. I'm running Kapersky security on it - have been through the settings but can't find anything that looks like HIPS or active security filtering options...

#6 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

Try temporarily disabling Kaspersky.

Go to start / run / type in msconfig / enter / startup tab / untick Kaspersky and reboot.

#7 jmccomas

jmccomas

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

Hi, there was no change then. It also did it when I was running AVG (if that helps)....

#8 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

Make sure you have updated your PC from Microsoft update and if you have already done so and the crashes are occurring there could be a startup program or service causing the problem including Java or Flash.

If the problem is Java or Flash (disable or uninstall to see) it needs a new version installed or the problem troubleshooted. If not Java or flash lets try a clean boot:

Click Start / run / type msconfig / enter / click continue on the User Account Control (If prompted) / click Selective startup /uncheck Load startup items / Click the Services tab / check the Hide all Microsoft services box / click Disable all / click OK / click Restart Now

See if you still get the same crash in IE and Firefox. If not then you just have to identify which service/startup item was causing the problem.

Start / run / msconfig / entter / continue on the User Account Control (If prompted) / services tab / check the Hide all Microsoft services box / check (Enable) the top half of the service boxes / OK / check restart now.

See if the crash problem is gone. If so the services you enabled are good to stay.

Repeat the enabling process for half of the remaining disabled services and continue this process until the problem returns or all services are enabled. If the problem returns then you will need to test the last batch of services you enabled one by one to find which was causing the problem to occur.

Repeat the same procedure for startup programs by disabling all in msconfig and then enabling some until the problem occurs. Your basicly trying to isolate the program or service causing the problem

If the problem is a service or startup program, you need to identify which service/startup item causes the problem. You will need to either disable/uninstall/update the program to avoid further problems.

Cheers,
Lee

Edited by Lee, 04 November 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#9 jmccomas

jmccomas

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:22 AM

Hi Lee, Just to let you know I am still working through the services to narrow down the source of the problem. I uninstalled and re-installed Java and Flash, and it seems to have helped in IE, but it still happens; while Firefox remains unusable. Thanks, James