This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

unable to connect to the internet

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi. I brought a laptop of mine over to my gfs today and connected it to an existing network that her roommate has setup. I have not had any luck getting it to connect either by wireless connection, connecting to an ethernet cable to a wireless router which goes to the modem, or connection to the ethernet cable which goes directly to the modem. I had no problems with this laptop at my place connecting to wireless or wired and both places use comcast cable for internet. I've been searching forums all day looking for clues. I have seen a lot of talk of MAC addresses, unable to contact your DHCP server, ip renewing etc. But nothing seems to work. It defaults to a 169.254.** ip which I believe means it cannot connect to the DHCP server. Maybe its stuck on my settings that are from my place? I am really stumped :(
Concerning wirelessly connecting:

Do you know if you have any connectivity at her place? Have you selected any wireless networks to connect to?

Try this, when your at her place, go to Start > Control Panel, right click on Wireless Network Connection and choose View Available Wireless Networks. There should be at least one network, if not, try clicking the Refresh network list link on the left. If there is a netowork, its name will probably be that of the modem that she has. Click anywhere on the big box that the name is in and click the Connect button that should appear once you highlight the box.

It may take a minute or two to connect, but once it does, you should get a baloon tip saying that you are now connected and it will also state how good your connection is.

Once you are connected, then try accessing the internet with your browser.
Ok I went to work at it again today for a couple of hours with no luck. I first reset the modem by pressing the reset button until the lights flashed and everything reset. This of course immediately broke her roommates internet connection (which did work). After repeatedly restarting the computer and power cycling the modem it finally started to work again. I still have not managed to get any changes on my computer and have not had any sort of changes in the internet connection. I have tried restarted, power cycling the modem (while slowly connecting the cables one by one). The modem is from comcast and is model DCM425C and made by RCA. So it appears to be a cable modem problem (less sure of this now), my laptop is stuck on existing settings some how or just the gods are conspiring against me. When I try ipconfig /renew I get this: An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
Hi arock. Check to see it the DHCP Client service is started.

Click on Start then Run, type services.msc and press Enter or click OK
Scroll down to DHCP Client and see if it's started. If not, double click on it, then make the Startup type Automatic then click the Start button.

Now try ipconfig /renew and see what happens.

If that doesn't help, look in Event Viewer and see if any errors are being logged (they will be in RED)

Click Start then Run, type eventvwr.msc and press Enter or click OK

Look in all three categories listed on the left. Double click on any error to look at the details. Use the arrows to move up and down in the events listed. Post the data here. If it's more than a couple, copy the data to notepad and save as a .txt file, then use the Browse and Upload buttons below the message input are to upload the txt file here, then click on the Manage Current Attachments box to paste a link to the upload file so we can look at it.

To copy data to notepad, you first have to copy it to the clipboard. You do this by clicking on the icon of two pages under the up and down arrows on the right side of the window. Then you paste the info into notepad.
There is nothing wrong with the laptop , all i can guess is that the MAC address is open . You can call the Internet service provider and request them to keep the MAC floating.

Maybe its stuck on my settings that are from my place? I am really stumped :(

well that could happen….but only if Your Router's make, model, and SSID were all identical to hers. It would be trying to use the encryption key from your network on hers….but only if the above info were the same.

Tallon41

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI