Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Wireless Internet Isn't Connecting Anymore...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Siimple

Siimple

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:43 PM

Hey there, I've only had this problem for a day, but already it's on my nerves. I have a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router that's been working perfectly for my Xbox, Wii, Ipod, and whatever, up until yesterday. We have two computers in the household, and for the longest time one of them (Dell XPS 210) did not have a working internet connection. Yesterday it was fixed by reinstalling absolutley everything on it. It's now connected by an ethernet cord and works fine. However, suddenly the wireless internet does not work anymore. I can recognize the connection, I can connect to it, but it doesn't actually work. For the Xbox, I can't pass a connection test, for the Wii it can't connect to the network, for the Ipod it can't open the pages. I have the standard Windows Firewall which, even when turned off, does not help me connect. I have a WEP key, and have entered it when asked (Although only the Xbox asks for it) and when it accepts it, it still doesn't connect. The main computer I work on is an Inspiron 531. Also, I'm not exactly a serious "techie" when it comes to computers, so if you wouldn't mind explaining any intricacies in your solutions that would be great. Thanks a bunch.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tonka001

tonka001

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:13 AM

Hey there, I've only had this problem for a day, but already it's on my nerves. I have a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router that's been working perfectly for my Xbox, Wii, Ipod, and whatever, up until yesterday. We have two computers in the household, and for the longest time one of them (Dell XPS 210) did not have a working internet connection. Yesterday it was fixed by reinstalling absolutley everything on it. It's now connected by an ethernet cord and works fine.

However, suddenly the wireless internet does not work anymore. I can recognize the connection, I can connect to it, but it doesn't actually work. For the Xbox, I can't pass a connection test, for the Wii it can't connect to the network, for the Ipod it can't open the pages. I have the standard Windows Firewall which, even when turned off, does not help me connect. I have a WEP key, and have entered it when asked (Although only the Xbox asks for it) and when it accepts it, it still doesn't connect.

The main computer I work on is an Inspiron 531.

Also, I'm not exactly a serious "techie" when it comes to computers, so if you wouldn't mind explaining any intricacies in your solutions that would be great.

Thanks a bunch.

Hi Siimple, welcome to WTT

I have the same router with wireless and wired computers behind them so I might be able to help some. I don't have any game systems that connect to the internet though, so I won't know much about those at all.

For starters I would power cycle down every thing. Computers, games systems, routers, modem. In that order. Once thats done and left off for a few minutes then you can begin powering everything back on one at a time, Modem 1st, wait about 1-2mins between each power on of each device. After the modem is connected and steady then power on the router, here there are two options 1.) After wait again 1-2mins power on the problem computer and see if it connects. 2.) reset the modem to facory defaults and work on upgrading the firmware and never continuing.
I would go with option #1 to begin with and then see if option #2 is even needed.

Good luck.

best regards
Tonka

#3 Ravius

Ravius

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:37 PM

Howdy Siimple, Just thought I might add one thing to Tonka's post. You may need to start the router first if your modem is in bridged mode. Basically the modem gets your connection info for your ISP from the router instead of storing it itself. If Tonka's way doesn't work, you might reverse the first and second step. That way the router can supply your user name and password when the modem tries to connect when powered on. Best Regards Ravius