This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

PDF attachments won't open in WinLiveMail

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have just set up a new Windows 7 Pro 32-bit PC and installed Windows Live Mail and imported the saved OE6 account/contacts/mail data. When I receive a message with a PDF attachment, I try to open the attachment from inside the message and get an error message that there is no program associated with this type of file. I have Adobe Reader v9 installed and this program's icon is shown in the Attachment field in the message. Control Panel program associations shows PDF associated with Adobe Reader. If I save the message to the desktop and then try to open it from there there is no problem. I can also browse in IE to a site where there is a link to a PDF document and I can open it in the browser. How can I fix the problem that PDF message attachments cannot be opened from inside the message?
Hi appleoddity, That solution worked perfectly. The unassociate page said to use the (Remove file association (user)) so I tried that first to no avail. However, following the referenced article suggestion to Delete File Type (which removes it for all users) and then doing the Repair Adobe Reader worked flawlessly. Thank you so much. You guys keep coming up trumps every time!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI