This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Video Card Problem

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Another problem :smack:

Recently I installed a brand new 9800 GT video card. Well, I thought the performance was okay, but I had expected better. So I decided to download GPU-Z to get a better look. Here's what I saw:

🖼Click to load external image (Posted Image)

300 MHz core clock :( It's supposed to be 600.
1/2 the performance!!

Also, the memory clock is at 400 MHz when it's supposed to be 1800 MHz

Suggestions?

Here is the power supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16817182150

If any other information is needed feel free to ask and I will supply.


I should note, when I installed the video card (first time installing one) it was pushed in as far as it would go, but it was not *clicked* into place. AKA it never snapped into place even though I kept jamming it in there, and since it was my first time installing one I figured I better not force it and just assumed that it wasn't supposed to click into place. After I turned on the computer and nothing showed on the screen I went back into my computer and was able to click it into place right away. It worked from then on out but I am thinking this might have had an effect on it…

I have been playing hours of gaming with so-so performance, so I assumed my improper first installation had no effect on it, but maybe that is why it is performing so poorly?
First off do you have a dedicated 6pin power lead for the card? Not that molex splitter/adapter.

Second: your motherboard specs are a bit unclear as to PCI_E 2.0. Your card is definitely PCI_E 2.0. The board states:

1 PCI Express x16 slot compatible with PCIE 2.0 spec, support ATi
Hybrid technology


Usually you would see: 1 PCI_E 2.0 x16 and not the "compatible with" which one could interpret as "yes it will take a PCI_ 2.0 card but will run as PCI_E 1".

I have re-downloaded your manual but it keeps freezing Adobe. I will look for a different copy.
First I am now seeing 600.0 MHz These cards running stock fans will run 60c minimum at idle. This is normal. 76c at max usage although indeed hot is not all that surprising. Is there an option to up that fan above 50%? Also: how about the power question above? …
Yep it's dedicated. So I think everything looks good then. I wasn't sure about the temp but after reading around you're definately right - it's fine.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI