This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Need help with a video card....

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I bought a game, The sims 3. I installed it, but it won't play because it says that my video card isn't supported or something like that. So now I need to buy a new video card…..but I don't know what I need. I've heard talk about PCI…or AGp slots and what not. I have no clue what these are or what my computer has or needs.

Here is what is required to play the game…
http://compsimgames.about.com/od/thesims3/…ims3-system.htm

I have this computer with XP
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinf…879&lang=en
Although I'm not exactly sure its the same as mine…..

This is what it says on the front of my computer:

340 Intel Celeron D Proccessor
512 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM memory
160GB 7200RPM ultras DMA hard drive

I had an Nvidia video card put in it awhile back, but apparently that one isn't supported now…..

Can you recommend a video card that is reasonably priced??

Any other info you need to know??
I bet your card dosnt support pixel shader. From the link you posted you have a on board graphics controller, but you added a Nvidia card at some point. It must be PCI based because your board dosnt have a AGP slot. So you need a PCI (not PCIE) card that supports Pixel shader 2.0. You might also think about adding more memory which will improve over all performance. I will look for and post some links to PCI based cards that support pixel shader.
Your best source for a 'how to' will be the link you posted to the HP web site. There is a link there to 'Upgrading Memory (RAM)
There is also information on how to determine the exact make/model of your machine since you were not 100% sure.
You will have to determine if your machine has a open PCI slot. Iam assuming it does since a Nvidia card was added at one time.
Please try to determine the exact make/model of your machine from the website. There are also links to removing and adding video cards.

adding memory

Adding Cards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI