This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

How to get IE short cut back on desktop?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I deleted my internet explorer short cut from my desk top and now I don't know how to get it back there again. ?? Vista Home Premium 32 bit…
Hi Jenn5,

Follow this link using Method 2 would be the answer to your query I think.

Let us know if that solves your problem…….thanks

kind regards,
the IE launch file on he desk top simply opened up a blank IE page… and you just type in your destination from there I can make a short cut from "welcome to IE7" file but that always opens up and takes you to the microsoft welcome page.. there's no way to make it a blank page about:blank
Jenn5,

Let me understand you further. Are you saying that when you go to

  • Start
  • All Programs
  • you cannot find Internet Explorer
Please take another look and when found follow Method 2 in the link I gave you earlier.

kind regards,

Edit: Now I read your last post it is a different query, follow this link to see if it helps.
No I deleted it from there. how do I do this? Turn on the IE7 desktop shortcut in Windows Vista Create a Reg file with the following text - merge with the registry: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]"{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000 You will need to refresh the desktop to see the shortcut (right click on desktop, select refresh).
http://keznews.com/2299_Restore_enable_the…n_Vista_Desktop

To re-enable, restore, show and display the Internet Explorer 7 (IE or IE7) Vista desktop icon, here the step on how to do it:

1. Start registry editor by clicking on Start button, then select “Run”. Type in “regedit” in the Open text box and hit “OK” or press “Enter”.

2. Navigate to the following registry key:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel

If you’re using classic theme or scheme, browse to the following registry location instead:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu

If the above key doesn’t exist, create a new key.

3. Edit or create a DWORD (32-bit) value named {871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D} and set it with value of 0 (dword:00000000).

4. Refresh Windows Vista desktop by pressing F5 or right click on desktop and click “Refresh”.

You will see the IE or IE7 icon has been put back on Vista desktop.
—————–


This doesnt work.. that key they say to create is already there
Jenn5,

Have you backed up your registry here

In your last post you gave the link you need, but I do not offer help regarding changing the registry of your system. If you want to follow the link you found yourself then do it at your own risk please.

kind regards,
Nevermind I got it to work. I deleted the key and remade it and the Icon popped back onto desktop. :woot:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI