This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

shortcuts

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, Hope someone can help me! I have uninstalled a program from my desktop but still have the shortcut which I can't move to the trash or delete. :( To paraphrase it says "since it can't find this program it can't move it" and so I am stuck with the shortcut but no program. I have Windows Vista Home Premium. Thanks for any help offered. Cheers, Janice
It is unusual to have a "program installed" in the Desktop folder. Ordinarily, applications are installed in C:\Program Files. Shortcuts do appear on the Desktop for user convenience. Removing the Desktop shortcut does not uninstall or delete the actual program. Ordinarily, Desktop shortcuts can be deleted, if you chose to do so, by "right-click" on the item and select Delete. If you are receiving an "Error Message" when you attempt the above, please print the entire exact wording (all the words and any/all numbers)
HI, Sorry I wasn't very clear on this. The program is cccleaner. I uninstalled it from "Programs and Features", no problem with uninstall. Hmm not sure what happened here but after I took screenshots of the messages I was getting and again right clicking on the shortcut to delete it, long story short it is gone. Its not in my recycle bin so not sure where it went but it is off my desktop. I will attach screenshots anyway so you can see what I was talking about. So thanks again, if I didn't start this process I would still have it! Cheers, Janice

Attachments:

  • [attachment removed: Are_you_sure.gif]
  • [attachment removed: Item_not_found.gif]

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI