Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

bandwidth issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 decipherfreak

decipherfreak

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

hi, i just got to australia where internet is hella expensive so i was wondering if there are any tips anyone has on reducing bandwidth usage (other than not streaming and downloading). also, does using gmail in older version save any bandwidth? and does playing games like mmorpgs that go online take up more bandwidth? thanks for any tips!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:01 PM

hi, i just got to australia where internet is hella expensive so i was wondering if there are any tips anyone has on reducing bandwidth usage (other than not streaming and downloading). also, does using gmail in older version save any bandwidth? and does playing games like mmorpgs that go online take up more bandwidth?thanks for any tips!

Hi and welcome to Australia,

Are you in a private home, backpack hostel, or on the road all the time. Where you are depends on my answer to you.

So you think our internet is expensive Ah! Guess if you have been used to paying less, then it is. Of course you get what you pay for here in Oz.

tpg.com is the company I am with, so here is their website for you to browse. A lot depends on your answer above as to whether you want dial-up, ADSL, or cable. Keep clear of Bigpond whatever you do.

Streaming is expensive as you use so much bandwidth...Gmail is like any other webmail, easy and quick to use which I have suggested you create in my answer to your other post on here.

Keep us posted as we are happy to help you.

kind regards,

#3 decipherfreak

decipherfreak

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:32 AM

Thanks for your replies! I am at uni, ANU. I get campus internet (including wireless) for 1Gb/day no pay, and dorm internet 1Gb/$10 that i can buy. I think I'll leave my youtube-ing and hulu-ing to the 1Gb per day. I don't know how much gaming takes in bandwidth so I'm afraid to play anything :(

#4 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:12 PM

Hi decipherfreak, So your in Canberra at ANU. I know it well, my family were there from time to time. When your going past an Internet Cafe, (they will be everywhere in the ACT) pop in and ask the guys who run them as they will be familiar with bandwidth for gaming. I myself would not think it would be any different to being connected to the internet and doing the normal things one does. I am not a gamer, but it is the System specs that are the all important factor when playing games in my opinion. Others may give their opinions, but in the meantime enjoy this wonderful country while you have the chance. kind regards,