jeff matthews
Topic Starter
Hi, i just wanted to note if any one else is experience bandwidth overloads using media servers like Tversity or Playstation 3 media server. Apparently i am a victim of excessive volume usage through my Qwest ISP. They said my usage last month was around 250 gb's in one month. I definitely figured out the reason why but i really don't understand it. It makes absolutely no sense to me but perhaps maybe you guys can explain it to me.
My DL connection is 1.5 mb/s and my UL connection is around .7 or like 700 kb/s.
I used a program called called "bitMeter2" which tests your over all volume usage for both UL and DL speeds. I use torrents with a bittorrent software at max speed, and the highest possible data stream i get is 150 kb/s with my connection which is usually what i get when downloading a single file. When im streaming media on the web like youtube or other streaming sites. I use very little, like maybe 7 mb/s. How ever.
When i use Tversity or PS3 media server to stream media to my ps3 system. Its reading that i am actually uploading around 9 gb in about a 30 min time frame. That is just outrageous and i don't see how its even possible to achieve that kind of global UL with my limited internet connection that is only a 1.5 mb/s and a 600 kb/s UL. I mean how can you UL 9 gb of data on a connection that only has 600 kb/s.
So i found the source of my excessive usage and i was wondering if there is any way to re wire it some how so im not using that much volume. Right now i have it plugged in directly with a ethernet cable from my modem to my game system. Then i have the program running on my pc. Maybe you can do some research on this and help me out because im kind of in trouble right now and aside from them telling me to stop streaming, i really have no information to go by.
I have been red flagged because of this and there threatening to terminate my connection and i can see why, that is an extreme amount of volume usage for my connection. I am wondering if some how other people are sharing my media server?? It just doesn't make any sense to me, considering networks for your UL to be that high is just impossible if you only have a 600 kb/s UL speed. When i say media server though im not refing to my private server. Its just a program, an application that you download that gives you the ability to direct stream media from your pc to your HD tv, its completely legal.
anyways, please give me some advice or information on this and why im getting 9 gb of databits per 30 min. I also checked with qwest to confirm rather or not that is exactly my measurement and they told me it is so the software i was using to test my bandwidth is pretty accurate.
My DL connection is 1.5 mb/s and my UL connection is around .7 or like 700 kb/s.
I used a program called called "bitMeter2" which tests your over all volume usage for both UL and DL speeds. I use torrents with a bittorrent software at max speed, and the highest possible data stream i get is 150 kb/s with my connection which is usually what i get when downloading a single file. When im streaming media on the web like youtube or other streaming sites. I use very little, like maybe 7 mb/s. How ever.
When i use Tversity or PS3 media server to stream media to my ps3 system. Its reading that i am actually uploading around 9 gb in about a 30 min time frame. That is just outrageous and i don't see how its even possible to achieve that kind of global UL with my limited internet connection that is only a 1.5 mb/s and a 600 kb/s UL. I mean how can you UL 9 gb of data on a connection that only has 600 kb/s.
So i found the source of my excessive usage and i was wondering if there is any way to re wire it some how so im not using that much volume. Right now i have it plugged in directly with a ethernet cable from my modem to my game system. Then i have the program running on my pc. Maybe you can do some research on this and help me out because im kind of in trouble right now and aside from them telling me to stop streaming, i really have no information to go by.
I have been red flagged because of this and there threatening to terminate my connection and i can see why, that is an extreme amount of volume usage for my connection. I am wondering if some how other people are sharing my media server?? It just doesn't make any sense to me, considering networks for your UL to be that high is just impossible if you only have a 600 kb/s UL speed. When i say media server though im not refing to my private server. Its just a program, an application that you download that gives you the ability to direct stream media from your pc to your HD tv, its completely legal.
anyways, please give me some advice or information on this and why im getting 9 gb of databits per 30 min. I also checked with qwest to confirm rather or not that is exactly my measurement and they told me it is so the software i was using to test my bandwidth is pretty accurate.