Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Need some firefox help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 just sara

just sara

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:12 PM

Hi guys I recently installed firefox and added some add ons. The problem i'm having now is that I can't save my passwords anymore. I have to re enter every time. A pop up (firefox) ask do i want password saved. I check yes but I still have to re enter. So how do I get back to being able to save a password? thank you just sara

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:49 PM

Hi just sara,

Have you thought how vulnerable you would be if you enable the option to save your passwords?

A quick google tells you how, but I would advise thinking about the danger in doing so if I were you.

One of Firefox's most convenient features is its ability to save the passwords you use to log on to web sites - like your webmail and online banking - so you don't have to type them in every time. Those saved passwords appear as asterisks in the password field, but did you know how easy it is to see what they are? In Firefox, from the Tools menu, choose Options, and in the Passwords tab hit the "View Saved Passwords" button. Then hit "Show Passwords." Yup, there they are, all your high security passwords in plain text and full sight. I kid you not.

kind regards,

#3 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

Hello again Sara. What Addons did you install. It's quite likely one of them is causing the problem. To see, click on Tools, Options, Main tab then the Manage Addons button. You can disable them one at a time and try saving a password.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#4 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:35 PM

Hi Sara

Its due to the cookies already saved by Firefox. I was also puzzled by this behaviour a long time ago
when I started using Firefox.

Here's the trick to rectify that behaviour;

Go to the site in question.
Log out again, from whatever logout button there is.

Next step is to clear your private browser data.
Press down CTRL + SHIFT + DEL(ETE) at once
Put additional ticks / checkmarks in Cookies and Saved passwords
Click ok

WARNING: Any saved passwords will be removed, if you can't remember your other passwords in your head, be sure to write them down before doing the above step!

Now you should be able to re-enter the page, and this time answer
yes to let Firefox remember the password.

Do note that many pages doesn't support autofill forms, such as encrypted sites, secure banking
pages etc. And with good reason. There is a workaround to this, but that I wouldn't recommend to
use under any circumstances, short of having Alzheimer's.

And I will advocate the use of a master-passwords also, if you use this feature.
It only takes one browser-HiJack, and you have compromised all of your passwords.

Regards Abydos

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde