Currently when I restart, my desktop background image appears but then it takes over 2 minutes before the start menu, icons etc appear.
Also, I have Norton 360 installed which appears to be running. However, I cant open the program and I cant uninstall it. I also cant seem to download the norton uninstaller program.
And the computer just seems to be running a bit slower than it should
Currently when I restart, my desktop background image appears but then it takes over 2 minutes before the start menu, icons etc appear.
Friend of me had this as well. Your computer is running XP? How old is it? Have you ever defragged, updated drivers, etc?
Also, I have Norton 360 installed which appears to be running. However, I cant open the program and I cant uninstall it. I also cant seem to download the norton uninstaller program.
Alright, do you still have a license and want to keep Norton 360? Or is the license outdated/do you want to switch to another (better and FASTER) anti-virus? Norton really slows your computer down and is not really better in detecting things than others. In case you want to keep using Norton, do you still have the CD?
As you already have HijackThis on board, I would like you to post a log for us:
Start HijackThis
Click on the Open The Misc Tool Section button
Click on the Open Uninstall Manager button.
Click on the Save list… button and specify where you would like to save this file. When you press Save button a notepad will open with the contents of that file. Post that here.
First off, I know just enough about computers to get myself in trouble, so forgive me if I sound like an idiont.
Yes I'm running XP. The computer is roughly 5 years old, give or take. Its an HP pavillion a630n and about a year ago I had to replace the motherboard and at that time I upgraded to 249GB of ram and replaced the hard drive. There werent any problems with all of that, except for the fact that on startup the computer gives me an a: drive error, and I have no floppy drive on the computer. That hasnt been too tough to deal with, other than having to press F2 to finish a restart. And before you ask, I really dont even remember why I needed to replace the motherboard. I do remember that after doing a little research I found out that HP and Dell use some kind of strange mb, and I had some trouble finding one. I think I eventually found it on ebay, and since I get that a:drive error, I assume it has something to do with the fact that the mb I am now using is not the exact one I needed.
I've recently tried to defrag and the computer said it wasn't needed.
I couldnt tell you when I specifically updated my drivers but I'm pretty sure I have 'driver detective' installed on the comp and I assume I used it when I replaced the motherboard and upgraded.
I do have a valid subscription for Norton, but I really have no problem getting rid of it for a free alternative. Especially if it is a better, faster alternative. I would however like to get Norton off of the computer first.
heres my latest log:
32 Bit HP CIO Components Installer
Acronis True Image Home
Ad-Aware
Ad-Aware
Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin
Adobe Flash Player ActiveX
Adobe Photoshop 5.5
Adobe Shockwave Player
Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem
AnyDVD
AOL Instant Messenger
AppCore
Apple Mobile Device Support
Apple Software Update
Audacity 1.2.6
Backup
BitMeter
ccCommon
CCleaner (remove only)
CDDRV_Installer
CloneDVD2
ConvertXtoDVD 2.2.3.258
Data Lifeguard Tools
DivX Content Uploader
DivX Web Player
DivxToDVD 0.5.2b
Driver Detective
Enhanced Multimedia Keyboard Solution
ERUNT 1.1j
ffdshow [rev 610] [2006-12-01]
Foxit Reader
GearDrvs
GearDrvs
Google Earth
High Definition Audio Driver Package - KB835221
HijackThis 2.0.2
Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB953595)
Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB958484)
Hotfix for Windows Media Format 11 SDK (KB929399)
Hotfix for Windows Media Player 11 (KB939683)
Hotfix for Windows XP (KB952287)
HP Customer Participation Program 11.0
HP Deskjet Preloaded Printer Drivers
HP Imaging Device Functions 11.0
HP Photosmart C5500 All-In-One Driver Software 11.0 Rel .4
HP Photosmart Essential 3.0
HP Smart Web Printing
HP Solution Center 11.0
HP Update
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver
IntelliMover Data Transfer Demo
InterVideo WinDVD Creator 2
InterVideo WinDVD Player
ISO Recorder
iTunes
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_03
Java™ 6 Update 11
Java™ 6 Update 2
Java™ 6 Update 3
Java™ 6 Update 5
Java™ 6 Update 7
KhalInstallWrapper
LimeWire 4.18.3
LiveUpdate (Symantec Corporation)
LiveUpdate (Symantec Corporation)
Logitech iTouch Software
Logitech SetPoint
LogMeIn
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366)
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP
Microsoft Office 2003 Web Components
Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003
Microsoft Office XP Web Components
Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition
Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual J# .NET Redistributable Package 1.1
Microsoft Works 7.0
MightyFax
Mozilla Firefox (3.0.5)
Mozilla Thunderbird (2.0.0.14)
Mp3Decode
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430)
neroxml
Norton 360
Norton 360
Norton 360 (Symantec Corporation)
Norton Confidential Core
Norton Security Scan
Norton Security Scan (Symantec Corporation)
OCR Software by I.R.I.S. 11.0
PC-Doctor for Windows
PS2
Python 2.2 combined Win32 extensions
Python 2.2.1
Quicken 2008
QuickTime
Real Alternative 1.9.0
REALTEK GbE & FE Ethernet PCI NIC Driver
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
RecordNow!
Savings Bond Wizard
Security Update for CAPICOM (KB931906)
Security Update for CAPICOM (KB931906)
Security Update for Step By Step Interactive Training (KB898458)
Security Update for Step By Step Interactive Training (KB923723)
Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB952069)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 (KB936782)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 (KB954154)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 9 (KB917734)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB938464)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB941569)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB950759)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB950760)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB950974)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951066)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376-v2)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951698)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB952954)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB953838)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB953839)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB954211)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB954459)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB954600)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB955069)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956390)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956391)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956802)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956803)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956841)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB957095)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB957097)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB958215)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB958644)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB958687)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB960714)
Shop for HP Supplies
SolveigMM AVI Trimmer
Spybot - Search & Destroy
SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition
Symantec Real Time Storage Protection Component
Symantec Technical Support Advanced Chat Controls
Symantec Technical Support Controls
Taskbar Calculator
TomTom HOME
Toolkit View(HP)
UltimateBet
Update for Windows XP (KB951072-v2)
Update for Windows XP (KB951978)
Update for Windows XP (KB955839)
Update for Windows XP (KB960763)
VC_MergeModuleToMSI
VCRedistSetup
Viewpoint Media Player
Visual C++ 2008 x86 Runtime - (v9.0.30729)
Visual C++ 2008 x86 Runtime - v9.0.30729.01
Windows Essentials Media Codec Pack 1.0
Windows Media Format 11 runtime
Windows Media Format 11 runtime
Windows Media Player 11
Windows Media Player 11
Windows XP Service Pack 3
WinPcap 4.0
Hello Lksdrinker. I will just put in my 2 cents worth till John comes in online and takes back the mantle.
Its an HP pavillion a630n and about a year ago I had to replace the motherboard and at that time I upgraded to 249GB of ram and replaced the hard drive
Do you mean 256 MB of RAM?
There are also a few offending lines in your "Uninstall List". I will simply put my views on them.
Ad-Aware
Ad-Aware
Duplicate entries. Besides the software is quite needless to stay seeing you have both Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware installed.
LimeWire 4.18.3
Very risky program. You would be thousand times better off if you simply uninstalled this one.
All Norton products. You might want to try an alternative download of the uninstaller from here.
UltimateBet
Appears to be a software for online Poker. As reliable as LimeWire.
Viewpoint Media Player
Considered foistware. Might track user statistics without the user's knowledge or consent.
Please set up a restore point if you choose to uninstall any / all of the above listed programs. Here are the instructions to do so, if you are unsure.
Click on Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and select System Restore.
Choose the radio button marked Create a Restore Point on the first screen and click Next.
Give the restore point a name then click Create. The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a note of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
Meanwhile, John will back with further instructions for you. Hope that helps.
Hello,
While I believe this to be a malware related issue, it is in the tech forum so I will put my two cents worth in.
It is against our terms of use to help you unless you remove any peer to peer applications. E.G. limewire, kaza, share bear…
First off, I know just enough about computers to get myself in trouble, so forgive me if I sound like an idiont.
That you were able to save and post an uninstall log proves that you are not the most computer illiterate I have ever helped, so this should not be a problem As long as you remember to read well.
While I believe this to be a malware related issue, it is in the tech forum so I will put my two cents worth in.
It is against our terms of use to help you unless you remove any peer to peer applications. E.G. limewire, kaza, share bear…
Well, as the computer is clean now, the user can use P2P software again (although it is not very clever, because you can be reinfected very fast).
Ok, well I have a new problem as of this morning. When I got on the computer Firefox wanted to install an update. It downloaded without a problem and once firefox restarted I cant get a connection. I restarted the computer….and still the same. I am currently using Internet Explorer which connects just fine….but I've gotten used to using Firefox and would like to figure out whats up with that!
I am not sure about what exactly I upgraded the RAM to….but in the system icon of the control panel it shows 249GB of RAM.
I understand that Limwire and P2P is a great way to get infected. But I dont use the programs too often…and I am aware of the risks.
I cant download the norton uninstaller (from symantec's site or from that mirror posted). When I click the link, in internet explorer, I get a page that cant be loaded. Its like its a dead link. Last week when I tried to download the uninstaller with Firefox I was getting to a page but it still wouldnt let me download the uninstaller. I had the option to 'go a page higher' or something like that….but couldnt download anything.
Last week I was trying to uninstall Norton through an uninstaller that was on my machine. It ran through the process and looked like it even completed. However, the window that had the status bar in it just stayed up forever. The status bar made it look, to me, like it was just bout complete…..but it never did anything after that and after about 24 hours I just restarted the computer.
I understand that Limwire and P2P is a great way to get infected. But I dont use the programs too often…and I am aware of the risks.
Your call but I am glad you are at least aware of the risks involved.
Also, I have Norton 360 installed which appears to be running. However, I cant open the program and I cant uninstall it. I also cant seem to download the norton uninstaller program.
That looks like a corrupted installation of Norton to me. Try reinstalling the program and then uninstalling it with the uninstaller.
Ok, well I have a new problem as of this morning. When I got on the computer Firefox wanted to install an update. It downloaded without a problem and once firefox restarted I cant get a connection. I restarted the computer….and still the same. I am currently using Internet Explorer which connects just fine….but I've gotten used to using Firefox and would like to figure out whats up with that!
Try reverting back to the last working version by downloading a fresh installer from here. Before you try that, try starting Firefox in Safe Mode and see if you are able to connect or not. If you are, then the problem is being caused due to an add-on.
I am not sure about what exactly I upgraded the RAM to….but in the system icon of the control panel it shows 249GB of RAM.
Must be MB (Mega Byte) instead of GB (Giga Byte). Norton wouldn't run very well on those resources, I assume.
Please try the above and see if it helps or not. Ask back if you have any questions. Good Luck.
Well I've tried reverting back to firefox 2.0 and still the same problem. Downloaded FF3 again and still the same problem. I just downloaded the latest version again from that link and still the same problem. I think Norton's firewall is somehow blocking firefox's access…..and since I cant get norton to open I cant allow it to run. I also tried disabling all of firefox's add-ons… and that still didnt help.
I cannot uninstall or reinstall norton. If I go to add/remove programs I can get the norton uninstaller to run. It goes through the whole process and then appears to just freeze up. The uninstaller runs, the status bar eventually shows 100% (or at least it looks like 100% or maybe just 99.9999999)…..but then nothing else happens…..and I ev entually just restart the machine.
Anything else I try with Norton doesnt seem to work. As of last week Norton showed up in the programs menu and when I tried to open it an hourglass would appear for a few seconds as if the program was going to open….but then nothing. hourglass disappeared but no program opened and the task manager did not show it running. Currently Norton doesnt even show up in the program menu.
And for some reason I cannot downolad the norton uninstaller. It seems to me like the links from Symantec's site are bad. But no one else seems to get that problem…..so for some reason my machine wont let me get to those links. Is there any other option to get the norton uninstaller to work?
Can you download the Norton uninstaller on a friends computer, put it on a CD or flash drive then take it to your machine and run it?
Well the problem there is that i have no friends. haha j/k. Thats a great idea….after reading that I'm really kicking myself for not thinking of it. I'll give it a try now!
It worked! Once i got the uninstaller on a CD it got rid of norton 360 and now the computer seems to restart correctly! (well except for that a: drive error).
So what should I use to replace Norton 360?
And does anyone have any advice about the a:drive error? Long story short I have no floppy drive on the computer but it seems to be looking for it on a restart. Once I press F2 it continues and restarts fine.
I use Comodo Internet Security. It's has both Anti-virus and Firewall. It is not a resource hog like Norton/McAfee/AVG 8. Others will recommend Avira Anti-vir or Avast Anti-virus.
All are free. I didn' like Avira because of the nag screen it pops up every now and then trying to get you to buy the "Pro" version.
I didn't like Avast because it talks. I hate talking software, be it Printers (Lexmark is a prime offender) or anti-virus
As for the A: problem, something must be starting at boot time that is looking for a disk in the A: drive, even though you don't have one.
Download, install and run StartupList, see if it give you a clue as to what it may be. If not, click on File, Save as and save the list, then upload it here as an attachment.
Use the Browse, Upload and Manage Current Attachments area to upload the file and attach it as a link here.