This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

AT&T Security Suite / Norton

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there everyone! I am looking to upgrade my At&t internet account, which will offer the "AT&T Security Suite" (Norton). I have recently had a problem with malware and I am wondering if this is a good choice for overall security for my computers (one has Windows Vista and one has Windows XP). Please provide any advise you can. Thanks!
Hello, I would not choose to use Norton or Mcafee. Norton is bloated and uses a lot of system resources. Norton does not have the best detection rate. I use Avira home (free) on all of my computers. Avira has a small foot print and a high detection rate. The paid version offers good protection. Kaspersky is one of the best security suites. Note: I am not a malware expert. I am stating my personal use and experience.
Hi 963,

I run Avast Free Antivirus software on all my computers. I can highly recommend it to you.

I would also not touch Nortons security suite, bloated, hard to remove unless you know how, just keep clear of it and either take HFCG''s advice or mine in this thread.

Even if Norton's Security is free I would not touch it.

kind regards,
My current preference is Comodo Internet Security. It's a Anti-virus and Firewall suite, similar to Norton and McAfee but is not a resource hog.

Comodo Firewall has been top rated for quite awhile now and their AV also seems good.

10 responses here you'll probably get 10 different suggestions.

About the only thing we all agree on is not using Norton/Symantec or McAfee.

About the only thing we all agree on is not using Norton/Symantec or McAfee.

Amen. :D

For the record, I would vote for Avira AntiVir too. Amazingly resource efficient and excellent detection rates. I have heard Avast is good too and I am going to give it a try in day or too.

And don't go for AVG too as it is very highly targeted by Malware writers and is therefore rendered completely useless in case of an infection.

– Mohit
I was using Avira Antivir but got tired of the nag screen so switched to Comodo Internet Security. Yes, I know how to disable the nag screen using NTFS permissions or gpedit, but how many others will do this and instead end up buying the Pro version to get rid of it? I intensely dislike that kind of "in your face" advertising. I tried Avast once and decided very quickly I did not like a takling AV program :pullhair:

I was using Avira Antivir but got tired of the nag screen so switched to Comodo Internet Security

I would like to consider it as an option. How good are its detection rates and how much resources does it consume? :)

I tried Avast once and decided very quickly I did not like a takling AV program

Lol, most people I know like it for that exact reason. :D

Yes, I know how to disable the nag screen using NTFS permissions or gpedit, but how many others will do this and instead end up buying the Pro version to get rid of it? I intensely dislike that kind of "in your face" advertising.

Yes, it is annoying but you can't deny its abilities and detection rates. Besides, those pop-ups are at least more legitimate than the one you get by AntiVirus 2009 or Vundo infections. ;)

– Mohit

I tried Avast once and decided very quickly I did not like a takling AV program :pullhair:


Hehe Ztruker :rofl:

"Abydos wonders if Ztruker knows it can be disabled!?"

Well. The primary designer on Comodo AV is the same who made Boclean (Kevin McAleavey)
Its getting there, but personally, I wouldn't use it yet. Its not yet full-fledged in my view.

Regards Abydos
@Abydos, I like that option in Avast, I even hear it when I am streaming radio online. I am sure Ztruker knows it can be turned off. He knows allot more than he lets on me thinks. :thumbup: I saw a post once that warned folk not to leave their computers on if they were situated in their bedrooms and had a good laugh. kind regards,
Yes, I know the "Voice of Avast" can be turned off, as Tallin said, but it's annoying until you get to the point where you can do so, at least to me.

I find it hard to believe anyone actually likes it :smack:

I'm old and set in my ways I guess, no point in trying to change me by presenting logical facts :wall:

Comodo Firewall Pro and BOClean are a potent combination that I was using for quite a while. It's what led me to CIS. I'm happy with it so far, but then I'm very, very careful where I browse, what I click on and what E-mails I open. I'm also behind a WPA2 protected router firewall.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI