This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Microsoft Security Essentials

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello i was wondering if someone could give me some advice please, i am thinking of doing away with Nortons and installing MSE, i have been checking it out on the Microsoft site and it seems to be a bit fiddly to install, plus i will need Malware which i have bookmarked from Microsoft, does anyone have an opinion on this security about how good it is etc as i am tired of parting out good money and besides Nortons takes up so much on the PC. I have Compaq Laptop, windows 7, 64 bit and use Chrome as my browser, would appreciate your help. :) I don't have Ubuntu on my PC anymore
I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) (and Windows Firewall - already included with Windows) on all my systems for nearly 4 years now and have no problems recommended it to anyone. So I see no problem with your uninstalling Norton, rebooting, then installing MSE. It is not hard so I don't know what you mean by it being fiddly to install.

plus i will need Malware which i have bookmarked from Microsoft

What? You don't need to download malware.

Note MSE has been renamed to Windows Defender in Windows 8.

i am tired of parting out good money and besides Nortons takes up so much on the PC.

I don't blame you. I see no reason to spend money on an anti-malware solution, only to have to keep spending money to keep using it. With several free and fully capable anti-malware solutions out there, it make no sense to pay for one that is not going to protect you better. And you are right again about hogging system resources. Though Norton has gotten better than it was years ago, it still consumes a lot, and dumps a lot of features on your system most users just don't need.
Hi Leagyl, Like Digerati, I also switched my personal and business computers ( free license for up to 10 business machines) to MSE for antivirus and anti spyware software protection and also use the Windows inbuilt firewall. I echo his wise words, there's nothing fiddly about the download and install procedure (just remember as Digerati mentioned, to uninstall your existing protection before rebooting and installing the new one . As an additional safeguard for my customers, I also download and run the dedicated Norton uninstall tool direct from Symantec and then reboot the computer to ensure as far as possibel that any remnants that might be left behind by the usual uninstall method (via Control Panel) are dealt with by the dedicated uninstall tool. Regards paws
Thank you so much for your replies, i will now be installing MSE in a few days time, i notice on the microsoft site they say to download a Malwares program and you disagree, i am worried i won't have full protection if i don't put it on, but you must understand i am a self taught pensioner so naturally i am nervous about going with a new one. :pullhair:

i notice on the microsoft site they say to download a Malwares program and you disagree

Absolutely I disagree. The purpose of MSE (and Norton, McAfee, etc.) is to block any malware program, so I don't believe Microsoft is telling you to download one. Please post a link to where you saw that and we will see if we can sort out the confusion.

The Norton Removal Tool is supposed to be used to remove Norton if the install or uninstall fails to completely remove Norton. That said, Norton products are very famous, or should I say infamous for failing to totally uninstall and remove all "hooks" so, yeah, use the tool.

Just remember to avoid unnecessary delays after removing Norton and Installing MSE to eliminate/minimize running without anti-malware protection.

i am worried i won't have full protection

As you should be. There are a lot of badguys out there seeking weak spots in users' security to exploit. That said, the user is ALWAYS the weak link, so the fact your are concerned, and doing something about it, puts your system high up on the tree - and badguys always go for the easy pickings first - typically and quickly moving on to someone else if they see any sort of proper security in their way. The exception is if the experienced badguy has a personal agenda/vendetta targeting you specifically. As we have seen with recent bank and fancy hotel robberies lately, nothing can keep a determined pro out, but those are very rare happenings and you don't sound the type who has personal enemies.

I need to do some updating but the principles still apply in my Practicing Safe Computing post. You might want to peruse it to make sure you have covered the bases.
Hello to you all , thank you so much for your answers, i have it all sorted out now and am not worried about using MSE, i can't remember where i saw the link for Malwares but it is the one that Tomk put on his post, my problem is i tend to do too much research and in the process it just confuses me more. I have taken on board what you have all said and will download MSE in a few days time. Thank you all again i appreciate your help. :D
I would sure install MBAM (Malwarebytes Antimalware) too (regardless your primary security solution). The free version is "on-demand" only which is just fine. Then use MBAM as a supplemental scanner every so often just to make sure you or your primary security solution did not let something slip by.

I have been using MSE for nearly 4 years but I still periodically scan with MBAM to make sure all is good - and in those nearly 4 years, MBAM has not found anything that got by. So even though I am confident in MSE and my own "practice safe computing" discipline, I like the warm fuzzy I get when MBAM confirms my systems are clean.

MBAM Pro (which, by default, runs full time in memory) is one of the very few security programs out there that consistently plays well with other full time anti-malware solutions, without causing conflicts or hogging system resources. So if you like MBAM Free, you may want to purchase the pro version - a one-time cost with no upgrade or periodic renewal fees! :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI