This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Keyboard Strokes Lagging

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I have a dell XPS M1530 windows vista ultimate. My keystrokes are lagging on all applications. This started happening yesterday. I am not sure what the cause of this. Everytime I type something it takes a long ime to appear on the screen. Can ou help me?
Hello mihirpatel

Your machine's new problem could have many sources.
It is possible that reading here will give you more ideas about how to narrow down your question.

Post back with more information that could possibly focus us more in how to be of help.

Best Regards
Sorry what would you like me to do. My dell XPS 1530 uses windows vista 32 bit operating system. When I type somehing into any application its takes a few seconds for it to come up on screen. Its almost as if something is blocking all the keystrokes.
the link I provided goes to a general problem description tip that may help you provide more details.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?act=SR&f=119

Give as much specific information as possible.

* Details of your machine Brand-name and model, desktop or laptop, CPU, RAM, age of machine.
* Details of your Operating System (Windows Vista(version), XP (pro or home), Win2000, Win ME/98/95, Linux, dual boot)
* Details of the Application(s) running when the problem occurred: (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Office, online game, etc)


Explain the problem you are experiencing (what’s not working).

When I try to do (a "computer activity") …. something else happens, or (the "computer activity") doesn't work


Put the problem “in context”.

* What were you doing at the time or just before the problem occurred?
* What recent changes to the machine have you made? (New Hardware/New Software/Updates)
* If Error Messages were displayed, post the “entire” exact text of the Error.


Often keyboard lag indicated that "something else" is consuming most of the machine's CPU and RAM resources.
This is often "background" programs and processes.

Have you made any recent changes, additions of software or hardware?
How much RAM do you have in that machine?

If you can give us more description, we might be able to give you better recommendations.

Best Regards
I have 2 cpu's 4-7%. 4GB Ram. Applications that are running are: 1) Mircosoft Exchange 2) Ie 3) Firefox 4) 95 Processes 5) I have Kaspersky antivirus running. It stopped and said I had more than 10 open connections. 6) Somedrivers were installed by dell for my wifi card last week. I did not watch him. I was away. As I am typing into this window I notice the lag more.
Please consider running this simple utility that will help you get control of programs and processes that you wish to have running active, or not.

CodeStuff-Starters
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Starter.html

Download and install, agreeing to the licensing terms and allow to install with all of the default settings as preselected in the installation wizard.

When you finally allow CodeStuff-Starters to run
It will preselect StartUps Tab -
  • Click on File
  • Select - save as Plain Text (name the report file - Startups Feb3.txtl)
In your next reply, post the file as an attached file (use browse and upload buttons – at the bottom-right corner of your topic posting window where you are typing your next reply)

Please do not make any changes with Code-Stuff Starters, until after you post the requested information above and receive recommendations from a helper here.

Best Regards
These "StartUp" items are all "user choice". ***You should keep your Kaspersky utilities active*** All others can be "disabled from starting" You can accomplish that by removing the checkmark/tick from in front of the items you wish to disable. I'd disable them all (except kaspersky) and then use the machine for a while to see what benefit occurs. Then I would allow any processes and applications that I absolutely want to have started when the machine boots to be re-enabled (put the checkmark/tick back in the box in front of the item) And again run the machine for a while to determine the benefit. Personally I have (0) zero items in my StartUp file except AntiVirus. Any others, I start manually by clicking their icon or using All Programs to select what I wish to use, and then I turn it back off. It's a matter of personal choice. _________________________________ You stated 95 processes in Task manager. At any time, I have between 36 - 45 items in Processes. My opinion, is that you do have too many items running from Startup in the background. Let us know if you do benefit from this recommendation. If you still are experiencing "lag", we can have a look at drivers, and the possibility of bad-guys running in the background. Do you actually "use" Microsoft Exchange ? If so, what for? Maybe there is a better solution. Do you actually use Adobe Reader - there is a better option called Foxit which has a much smaller "footprint" and does not produce lag. Do you actually use Uniblue utilities? The risks of using an automated Registry Cleaner are very high, with very limited benefit. We don't recommend using automated Registry Tools. Best Regards
Sorry.

I meant to add that your JAVA Runtime is way out of date.

You need to update Java.

Update Java
Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update.
First remove the older versions:
  • Download JavaRa and unzip it to your desktop.
  • Double-click on JavaRa.exe to start the program.
  • Click on Remove Older Versions to remove the older versions of Java installed on your computer.
  • Click Yes when prompted. When JavaRa is done, a notice will appear that a logfile has been produced. Click OK.
  • A logfile will pop up. Please save it to a convenient location.
Now let's download and install the newest version:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 12.
  • Click on Windows XP/Vista/2000/2003 Offline and save the downloaded file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on the download to install the newest version.
  • Reboot your computer.
I have disabled most of the start ups. The system seems to have improved. I have noticed everytime I reboot my machine it takes for ever to shut down and restart. I tried the Java but it states I have the latest version. I am not sure about the runtime as I might need this version to work with the application that I am working with. I use Exchange for Email. I use adobe reader for reading pdfs. If you say foxit will do the same thing then I will give it try. I also use cutepdf to write pdf files. I am assuming that this does not require adobe. Uniblue - I tried this to see if this would solve my problem. I did uninstall it, but I noticed it came up on start up. Thanks for your help. If you can assist me any further reqarding what I have posted I would really appreicate it.
You can install Foxit while still having Adobe on your machine.
Give Foxit a "test Drive" it has all the same features as Adobe Reader.
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php <– I use the "free" version and have never had a problem.
I even use it for filling out online .pdf forms such as IRS and other government contract forms.

If you decide to adopt Foxit, then uninstall Adobe to be a happier camper.

Foxit is "not" a .pdf "creator"
But neither is Adobe Reader able to "create" .pdf documents.
If all you are using Adobe Reader is for "reading" .pdf documents, then I think Foxit will suit your needs and be less of a resource hog than the infamous Adobe Reader.
_______________________

You may already have the most recent JAVA Runtime Environment installed….. but, I didn't see it in your list.

All the others have been discontinued and replaced by Sun Microsystems because, over time, the bad guys develop ways to corrupt and invade JAVA Runtime (Corrupt ActiveX scripts, other corrupt JAVA applets)

Your machine has a few older versions of JAVA Runtime Environment - All of which have developed "vulnerabilities".
You should uninstall all but the most recent up to date version of JAVA Runtime.

If you are running an application that "requires" a JAVA Developers Tool Kit, then you should have a discussion with the folks who are making this requirement upon you and ask for specifics about "security".

*** At the very least, you should make it a regular maintenance routine to Clear your JAVA Cache (Delete Temps from JAVA Console)
______________________

Cutepdf is not dependent upon the Reader that you select to use.
________________________

Download and Run ATF-Cleaner

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Download - ATF Cleaner»
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.

(If you use FireFox or the Opera browser
To keep saved passwords, click No at the prompt.)

It's normal after running ATF cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time or two.
To avoid this "slower booting" you can "unselect" - PreFetch from the list to be cleared. I hardly ever clear PreFetch and there are good reasons why it is a waste of time, (unless infected)
___________________

Consider Defragging your Hard Drive. (complete this defrag with the native MS Defrag tool in Accessories - System Tool)
It may take between 1/2 to 1hour depending upon the size of your HD and number of files presently on the HD.
Some people simply run defrag overnight, to avoid the down time.
____________________

Give your machine a Test Drive for a day or two.
If you continue to have slow boot and shut down, or difficulty with keyboard lag,
Please post back so that we can investigate further.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI