This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

letters apply slowing on monitor

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have windows XP. When I type the letters appear after I type them. Sometimes I will type a complete sentence before the letters appear. It's frustrating. I have gone to Keyboard in the control panel and put the slider on Short under Repeat Delay and FAST under repeat rate. That's all I've tried.
Hi dconant1,

Have you tried a different keyboard to see if the same thing happens?

How many programs have you got open when this problem is evident?

Hold down Control>Alt>delete at the same time > click on the process tab and tell us how many processes are running please?

Kind regards,
Hi Tallin this is a laptop. Sorry I didn't mention that. There are approx 20 processes going. Most appear to be associated with windows operation, not much additional (ie. Quick time, etc)
How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem. Try the following:

First, physically disconnect from the Internet to prevent a malware infection while your Anti-virus and/or Firewall are disabled in the following steps, then boot to Safe Mode.

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab then the Disable All button.
Do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, boot to Safe Mode again, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best. Enable everything else you disabled.

Reconnect to the Internet when your AV and firewall are active again.
Gentlemen - tedious as it was (3 hours) I finally found the culprit. It's PCMService.exe. I disabled it in msconfig. I could not find such a program in the Add/Remove section. The internet sites seem to associate it with Dell Media. Do you know (1) what this program actually does? (2) how to remove it permanently? (3) And whether or not (by removing it) that will affect the rest of my Dell Media programs?

Gentlemen - tedious as it was (3 hours) I finally found the culprit. It's PCMService.exe. I disabled it in msconfig. I could not find such a program in the Add/Remove section. The internet sites seem to associate it with Dell Media. Do you know (1) what this program actually does? (2) how to remove it permanently? (3) And whether or not (by removing it) that will affect the rest of my Dell Media programs?

Hi dconant1,

Yes, it is explained in the following link

kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI