I don't know whether to put this in hardware, or software, but let's see what happens.
Can anyone please test this to verify that what I am experiencing is correct?
I have an Asus M70Vm-X1 (models probably don't matter) laptop with an integrated Webcam (whether or not it is integrated may be an issue). The webcam has a little blue light on it that tells me whether or not it is on.
==NORMALLY==
When I boot, everything is fine, keyboard light test, os selection, etc. It boots into windows WITHOUT the led on the webcam lighting up.
==AFTER I INSTALL GOOGLE DESKTOP==
When I boot, things are different, keyboard test goes normal, os selection, then during then Windows 7 Beta Boot process (before the login screen, after you select your os) the light on the integrated camera turns on for about 1-2 seconds, then off.
==AFTER I UNINSTALL GOOGLE DESKTOP==
Things return to normal, and the light does NOT turn on during the boot process.
==WHAT I AM WONDERING==
Why is google desktop causing the light on my integrated webcam to turn on as if it were capturing video, is it capturing video, if so, why is it capturing video.
All these are very important for me to know as I have discontinued using google desktop because I value my privacy.
Hi,
This seems to be a very specific question.
First thing, you said that you have Windows 7 and it could very well be that it is something in there conflicting with Google Desktop that does something to your webcam. Second, it could just be something of Google Desktop that checks hardware or something. You have a LED where you see that the webcam switches on, but most people, like me, have not so it is very difficult to test if mine switches on and off as well.
That is why I recommend that you try and contact Google first. They may know how to turn this off. Have you checked the options of Google Desktop already? Also, did you have Google Desktop installed before (possibly with other OSs) and not had the problem then?
Thinking logically, if the LED of the webcam goes on and then off, and normally if you use the webcam the LED would stay on, you could conclude that it is only on for a very short time.
Please let us know.
Regards,
John.
Sounds to me like it's a Windows 7 issue… It's still beta and if you downloaded the latest Google Desktop 5(?) well on their system requirements page CLICK it says that
We're unable to provide full support for older versions of Windows, including Windows 2000, 2003 Server, etc.
So with them not supporting too many OS's right now they may not have Google Desktop completely ready for Windows 7… You may not get too much help working with an OS that is not even RTM yet…
Regardless… Keep testing that software, post your results, maybe it will help someone else, and help MS improve functionality…
Thanks,
Missouri Mobile
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI