This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Content Encoding Error in Firefox, distorted images

39 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Ztruker,

They seem smooth in terms of malware. However, the problems persist. Yes. I was actually about to post a couple of new screenshots to illustrate the problem before I saw your reply.

I've been using Opera for the past week or so since I uninstalled Firefox. Just half an hour ago or so, for the first time, I had the same exact problem happen in Opera as what used to happen with Firefox.

First this, when I opened Opera. Instead of going to the website, it just keeps popping up as if I'm trying to download a file…
[external image: Posted Image]

After F5 refresh, this appeared and would not go away despite repeated refreshes…I eventually rebooted.
[external image: Posted Image]

Up until this point, the only problems I had been having with Opera was occasional distorted images. This was a problem that had occurred in Firefox too. But today it was back to all the other issues I had been having.

In other words, it's the exact same problems that I've had since I first started this thread weeks ago. IE7 also acts erratically (but I rarely use it…). Despite all the tweaks and tests, they remain.

The only difference, I'd say, is that the glitches aren't occuring as frequently as before.
This may sound weird, but what about trying a different network card? If the one you have is onboard (built into the system board) add a PCI NIC. Disable the onboard and use the PCI NIC and see what happens.

This seems highly unlikely but I've seen defective NICs cause some very strange problems. Perhaps you have one laying around or can borrow one from a friend?

Another possibility would be to disable UAC for a bit and see what affect that has. Enable it again if not affect.

See here: http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm only the entries are Disable UAC and Enable UAC, not UAP as shown in this article.

This may sound weird, but what about trying a different network card? If the one you have is onboard (built into the system board) add a PCI NIC. Disable the onboard and use the PCI NIC and see what happens.

This seems highly unlikely but I've seen defective NICs cause some very strange problems. Perhaps you have one laying around or can borrow one from a friend?

Not really. Seems pretty drastic. I doubt that's the problem since I've been able to get online in different countries (continents, even).

Another possibility would be to disable UAC for a bit and see what affect that has. Enable it again if not affect.

See here: http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm only the entries are Disable UAC and Enable UAC, not UAP as shown in this article.

What would be the risks associated with doing this?


Question for all tech team members:

It there a master log file for the entire computer? The entire system? I was thinking that if I make note of the time(s) when my PC becomes unstable (3 reboots so far today…grr), this might help pinpoint the problem?

Whenever I try to get into the task manager once my PC becomes sluggish or freezes…I get the same error message:

Logon process has failed to create the security options dialog.

Failure - Security Options
Danny007, Yes there is something like what you ask. It's called Event Viewer and is a native part of your operating system which can be found in Administrative Tools. I did not previously know that your machine(s) was working properly in other geographic locations. Now I'm wondering if it is a power-supply related issue. Consider using a UPS Uninteruptable Power Supply, to establish and maintain correct voltage to your machine(s).
Thanks, I may do that.

Okay, I just checked out the Event Viewer. Here are errors that I see have been repeatedly occuring whenever the computer becomes unstable.

Description:
Unable to initialize the security package Kerberos for server side authentication. The data field contains the error number.

Event Xml:
http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">


15016
0
2
0
0
0x80000000000000

92267


System
User-PC



\Device\Http\ReqQueue
Kerberos
000004000200300000000000A83A00C0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
0000E030980



Description:
The eDataSecurity Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Event Xml:
http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">


7000
0
2
0
0
0x80000000000000

92312


System
User-PC



eDataSecurity Service
%%1053


I wonder if there is a conflict between the remaining Acer programs/utils that I have and one of my security programs?

Also, do you recognise this error message:

Logon process has failed to create the security options dialog.

Failure - Security Options


Is it from Windows or from Acer?
Danny, Have a look at these resources:

Vista Boot Problems
http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?show…p;#entry1474913

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us
___________________

Also tell us (even though you might already have told us)
Are you running Threatfire or any "real-time behavioral technology" monitoring : ie Spybot S&D TeaTimer, BillP's WinPatrol, etc.
What AntiSpyware are you running and tell us what components are running active from boot.
Also tell us about your HD partitioning and where you have Vista installed.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI