This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Accessing website

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have made several attempts to access a website that ends with /java5250/java.htm I continue to receive the following message…"Sorry we do not support the extension htm" Please help.
:welcome: to the forum,

I get this link when accessing the part information in your first post.

Please read the link in my signature when posting for assistance. The more information you give us, the easier it is for us to give a meaningful reply to your query.

Enjoy the knowledge found here on WTT on the varied sub-forums offered to members.

kind regards,
Hi

Htm is a end sometimes used by Mozilla.org (among others) when downloading
their addons, from mirror sites and such. So my guess would be that it is a addon
that is the culprit.

Try go to start, and find the mozilla entry, start Firefox in safe-mode, and try access
the same site. If you can access in safe-mode, you know that a addon is at fault here.

@Paws

Some danish sites use the Htm end, just for further use and FYI. ;)

like: http://www.geus.dk/viden_om/vogv-dk.htm

Regards Abydos

Thanks Abydos
:thumbup:
Regards
paws


You're welcome, altho it isn't really a domain name ending, but rather a simple form
for HTML, without the "L", which would be HyperText Markup, instead of HyperText Markup Language…
The simpler form is often considered rude, whereas HTML is considered the right way to name it.

Regards Abydos
I suspect it's actually a server problem … not sending the right mime type for htm, should be the same as for html.

I just tried this on my Apache server. I copied index.html to index.htm and when I try to load the .htm page in IE, FireFox and SeaMonkey, they all treat it as plain text. If I get some time (and remember how :blush:) I'll see what happens if I make the mime type for htm the same as for html.

Edit: Well, scratch that. I just looked at the mime.types file for my Apache server and it has

text/html html htm

so it should be treating htm and html the same. Has to be a browser problem though I find it hard to believe all browser treat htm as plain text, unles it's the standard. Very interesting problem. Needs more investigating.

Edit #2: A bit more investigating shows me that my problem is caused by PHP, not the Apache server. I created a simple test.htm page and it loads fine.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI