Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Accessing website

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Precious

Precious

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:17 PM

I have made several attempts to access a website that ends with /java5250/java.htm I continue to receive the following message..."Sorry we do not support the extension htm" Please help.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:48 PM

:welcome: to the forum,

I get this link when accessing the part information in your first post.

Please read the link in my signature when posting for assistance. The more information you give us, the easier it is for us to give a meaningful reply to your query.

Enjoy the knowledge found here on WTT on the varied sub-forums offered to members.

kind regards,

#3 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:18 AM

Hi Precious
Websites don' t generally end in
.htm
and this is why you are getting the error message....
websites will usually end in
.com
.org
.edu
.gov
etc
see here for more details;
http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#4 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:10 AM

Hi

Htm is a end sometimes used by Mozilla.org (among others) when downloading
their addons, from mirror sites and such. So my guess would be that it is a addon
that is the culprit.

Try go to start, and find the mozilla entry, start Firefox in safe-mode, and try access
the same site. If you can access in safe-mode, you know that a addon is at fault here.

@Paws

Some danish sites use the Htm end, just for further use and FYI. ;)

like: http://www.geus.dk/v..._om/vogv-dk.htm

Regards Abydos

Edited by Abydos, 27 January 2009 - 03:20 AM.

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#5 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:27 AM

Thanks Abydos :thumbup: Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#6 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

Thanks Abydos
:thumbup:
Regards
paws

You're welcome, altho it isn't really a domain name ending, but rather a simple form
for HTML, without the "L", which would be HyperText Markup, instead of HyperText Markup Language...
The simpler form is often considered rude, whereas HTML is considered the right way to name it.

Regards Abydos

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:00 PM

I suspect it's actually a server problem ... not sending the right mime type for htm, should be the same as for html.

I just tried this on my Apache server. I copied index.html to index.htm and when I try to load the .htm page in IE, FireFox and SeaMonkey, they all treat it as plain text. If I get some time (and remember how :blush:) I'll see what happens if I make the mime type for htm the same as for html.

Edit: Well, scratch that. I just looked at the mime.types file for my Apache server and it has

text/html html htm

so it should be treating htm and html the same. Has to be a browser problem though I find it hard to believe all browser treat htm as plain text, unles it's the standard. Very interesting problem. Needs more investigating.

Edit #2: A bit more investigating shows me that my problem is caused by PHP, not the Apache server. I created a simple test.htm page and it loads fine.

Edited by Ztruker, 27 January 2009 - 07:09 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown