This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

air card

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have attached a print of my device manager; can you tell me whether or not I have a card built in which would allow me to use a service to use the internet while traveling? Thank you
Hi GP Firstly you mention air card and these generally allow you connect to the Internet ( by agreement with the air time supplier usually for a monthly fee) using a system similar to that provided by mobile phone service providers or utilities, and with a similar geographical coverage) These cards are usually external removable ones in the form of either 1 USB dongle that plugs into a spare USB port 2 PCMCIA card slot 3 ExpressCard slot. all of the 3 above are readily visible and you would therefore know from a cursory visual inspection if one was installed A Your Device Manager indicates that you have a network card installed (for further details you need to click on the little + sign to the left of the Network card, line) B When traveling you will usually be able to connect to the Internet by plugging in your network cable (AKA patch cable or even Cat 5/6 cable) between the network port on your computer and the Router concerned…..this will generally be fine for when you visit friends who are connected to broadband via a router or in hotels etc (where you are allowed to plug in your network cable.) C Your computer may also have a wireless network adapter installed that will enable you to connect (subject to you having authorised access via password/passphrase etc) to a wireless signal whilst either at home or away….but to check this you will need to click on the + sign as indicated earlier. D Finally the Device Manager indicates that you have a modem installed (here again you will need to click on the little + sign for details) this will usually allow you to connect tothe Internet via a phone line using a slow, narrow band connection (often referred to as a dial up connection) but you will need to have requested this facility from your Internet Service Provider (ISP) together with a method of payment acceptable to them. The dial up generally works from any Telephone socket that operates a "regular" telephone. E Some general info that may be helpful to you……modern laptop, notebook and netbook computers are all usually fitted with wireless network cards as a standard integral fitting and will usually pick up any available wireless signal in your location…..all you need do is click on "connect" in the icon that appears in the lower right cornert of your screen and you will be connected (unless the wireless signal is encrypted (as it should be………….usually!……… if it is encrypted you will need to enter the required password/passphrase .Please note all these portable machines are often fitted with a small switch to switch on the Wi Fi so you will need to check around your machine or the owners manual for its exact location. I hope this clarifies things for you. but post back if you need further info Regards paws
Hello Paws This is what I see when I open Network Adapters; Intel[R] Pro/100 VE Network Connection I have tried to grasp as much as I could from your reply but I am really far from that level of technical expertise. My daughter gave me a Dell Inspiron 5150 but she did not know if a 'card' was installed. I currently have a Netgear router with a PCMCIA card. My desktop and the laptop can communicate within the house. We are thinking of a road trip of a week or so + thought we might like to have the web along with us. This is why I asked if I had the appropriate card in the pc so I could call some company and obtain a short term service. I keep reading your reply but sorry to say I cannot figure out if I have the card that I would need while driving. It is a guess but I think the Netgear router and modem I bought, are ok for within the house but that I would need a different one to obtain wireless service while on the road. I am looking for a service for under $100 that would be compatible with a built in ??air card. I hope the information I provided will tell you if I have the card necessary to do the job. If you have a moment could you get back to me, please? Thank you
Hi GP, sorry my answer wasn't clear. It looks as though you have a network card PCMCIA plugged in the side of your computer so it can pick up the wireless signal from your router, so it will be able to pick up the wireless signal from a chums router if you happen to be staying away from home and are in range ( roughly 30 metres) of a wireless signal… In the same way you will be able to pick up a wireless signal from an hotel that has a router for guests to use. If for example you are having a coffee at a Starbucks then you will be able to pick up their wireless signal and connect to the Internet/ However if you are traveling in the car or are not in range (say 30 metres) of a router that you are allowed to use and need to pick up a signal to connect to the Internet then you will need to get an air card and pay the service provider fees. Hope this helps post back for any extra info Regards paws
1- When I sent the underlined below to you did it give you a clue whether or not I have a built in air card???
[This is what I see when I open Network Adapters;Intel[R] Pro/100 VE Network Connection]
2-I do understand what I currently have and use in my house. If you use a hotel router for example, to connect to your PCMCIA card in side of you pc, how is security handled. By this I mean, I have configued my router at home and feel somewhat secure but these settings don't come with me do they? In other words my security depends upon the router my card is connected to I would think -but obviously don't know.
2- My phone company said a card would cost $200. if I don't have one built in plus the cost of the service $60. per month. Sound right you to?
Thank you
Hi GP, Its very very rare to have a built in Air card……I won't say that they don't exist but I've never seen one! ( on this side of the pond anyway! ):D They stick out the side or the back of your laptop computer, plugged into the appropriate socket ,and so you can't really miss one if its installed… I don't know the cost in USD but in the UK it costs from £10 per month…some service providers include a USB dongle free within their charge, others charge about £20 for one (a one off payment) Check also the minimum duration of the contract and if you can pay as you go…… you don't want to get lumbered with a 36 month contract for a fortnights vacation. If you intend to download a lot of stuff be advised that some service providers also levy a charge on any downloads exceeding a certain amount at a fee per GB dowloaded so its best to check the small print in the agreement with either a young pair of eyes or a good magnifying lens! The speed may be considerably lower than you are used to at home so that's another thing to check before you go ahead. Also the geographical coverage of the signal can be patchy outside of built up areas and urban conurbations so here again check with the service provider if their signal is likely to reach where you are likely to go! Whilst connected through for example an hotel using Wi Fi you should make sure that your 2 way software firewall is fully updated and operational and the same for your resident anti virus and anti spyware product…….. Your Windows operating system should be updated with all the latest updates from Microsoft..and you should ensure that your Java is up to date (Version 6 update 11, with all previous versions (incl all previous and ( JSE ) run time environments uninstalled. Adobe Reader should also be updated (or replaced with Foxit reader) as the earlier versions had security vulnerabilities Good luck and have a nice time Regards paws
Hi Paws When people buy laptops these days, they do as I did which is to gey an external device to connect with a router within the house basically. They do not for the most part buy a machine with an internal card. Thanx for the information and best wishes from across the pond.
Hi GP and thanks for your good wishes from "across the pond" I hope I answered your questions OK……just to sum up its rare to have a built in air card in a notebook computer.,( at least I've never seen one!)…..but all the new ones sold today seem to have a built in Network adapter card (that you can't see, as its fitted internally) to pick up a wireless signal from a home router or from a WI -FI hotspot, or Starbucks etc Hope all this makes some sort of sense Regards paws
Hi Paws It seems there are two 'general' cards. 1-Subscribe to a company that provides wireless access where ever to are . This involves a fee for the srvice and a card they issue that is compatible with the towers/satellites and, 2-The network card people use to communicate with the router in their house for a limited distance(or hot spots). Older pcs require that you purchase the router and compatible card, + perhaps newer pcs come with a network card in the machine so you only have to get a router to 'talk' to it. Thank you for your help. :wavey:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI