Hi,
Both my pcs are generic.When I assembled them I had no idea that I might need wifi.
Due to a change,my internet supplier will now install a contraption to broadcast a signal
which my pc must pick up.
Is there a wifi card that I can install?
Please help me ,I know nothing about this. Step by step instructions please.
Thank you.
There is no need to install a wi fi card in a desktop computer unless:
1 You just want to..!
or
2Your desktop computer is so far away from your Router that connecting with an Ethernet cable is impractical.
or
3 for some reason your motherboard did not come already fitted with a network port ( that you plug the Ethernet cable into ( highly unusual if it's a standard motherboard and is fairly new….(say less than 8 years old! or so.)
(A wired connection using an Ethernet connection is usually always faster than using wi fi and is usually employed on a desktop cvomputer.)
If you really need to connect your desktop computers via a wifi connection then you will need to fit wifi network adapter cards, or if you don't fancy opening up your computer, then a USB "plug in" wifi network adaptor can be used… ( this just plugs into a USB port) they are both available for around GBP £5 and should be readily available at any computer outlet in Holland or via ebay if you wish!
Note when opening your machine you must take all personal safety and ESD ( anti static) precautions
If you choose the USB network wireless adapter then usually its necessary to install its drivers BEFORE you plug it in….so just follow the instructions that will come with it.
Regards
paws
Paws.
Thank you. The MoBo does have an eathernet port. I am changing the ISP and this one supplies Wifi.
This is where the need comes in.
On my way to buy USB thingy.
It was kind of you to warn about installing driver before the gadget.
Once again thank you.
even tho the router/modem supplied by your new isp has wifi capabilities, that doesn't mean that is the only way to connect to it, there will still be ports on it for you to connect by cable/wire.
Here in the States, some areas are served by an ISP called Digital Path.
They "broadcast" a radio signal that carries the internet access which is broadband, but just barely more than dial-up.
It is mostly located in small towns and portions of towns which are not yet wired for DSL.
Digital Path installs an "antenna" on your roof, and then you have to buy a special modem that receives the amplified signal from the roof antenna.
If that is what you might be posting about, you should ask your ISP to specify exactly what device you may need.
Best Regards
Thank you Doug.I am in the capital city Amsterdam and on Dsl.
I am switching to my cable company for internet to save 30%.
They said they would supply wifi for two pcs.
Simple soul that I am I assumed I had no other choice.Since buying the 8 Euro
usb receiver I did some more checking locally and everyone had a laugh.
One advantage,I shall be able to move my pc around without worrying about the
length of the cable etc. Well the so called problem is solved,thanks to all the
kind souls on this site.
Thank you all.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI