This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Sleep Mode & CD/DVD Disk Drive

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello there, I am now extremely annoyed at Dell. I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with Windows Vista Home Edition. I rang Dell on the 9th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 19th, 20th, 21st and the 22nd of January just because I needed a few things done with my laptop. I needed a new LCD screen and a new CD/DVD disk drive, there was so much hastle over small things! Believe me, Dell technical support isn't up to its standards. But hey let's not get into that though because…well yeah. First, the technician came out to my house and repaired the laptop, and re-installed Windows Vista, Everything was going grand until, for some strange reason, the CD/DVD drive keeps opening up, it makes 2 sounds, you know? The sounds it would make if you were to open the disk drive and then opens, annoying. I can't see how this could be the hardware since I got it replaced a few days ago. I ran Windows Defender, AVG 8.0 premiem edition and Spybot Search & Destroy but nothing came up stating that anything was infected. The reason why I done this is because I heard of a software that opens the CD/DVD disk drive randomly and it could be removed from one of these. Unfortuantly for me, this is not the case. Second, Up until today, my sleep mode was working perfectly, I entered sleep mode and when I wanted my laptop to wake up, it would. But now, when I enter sleep mode and then want my PC to wake up, it doesn't. The screen just stays black - blank. The laptop does turn on however because I can hear it working and the fan runs. Can someone please help on both issues? It would be greatly appreciated.
Hi GaryOR-LFC. Sorry to say, but your only recourse is to battle with Dell again. There is definitely something wrong with the CD-DVD drive and it's entirely possible that is causing the sleep mode problem. I would not let Dell off the hook on this. Make them fix it right!
Hey thanks for the reply. Haha, I was afraid that you were going to say that! :pullhair: :thumbup: My problem is weird actually, sometimes the disk drive opens, it's kind of gotten a lot less frequent now, still happens though. The sleep mode issue only happens sometimes now. Is there not any other way to fix this problem because i'll probably have to spend money for the service engineer to come out this time. WHich I will not be willing to do, and they can't take the laptop off me because I need it for college.

Hey thanks for the reply.

Haha, I was afraid that you were going to say that! :pullhair: :thumbup:
My problem is weird actually, sometimes the disk drive opens, it's kind of gotten a lot less frequent now, still happens though.
The sleep mode issue only happens sometimes now. Is there not any other way to fix this problem because i'll probably have to spend money for the service engineer to come out this time. WHich I will not be willing to do, and they can't take the laptop off me because I need it for college.


Vista is so wrought with problems that its not surprising you are having one problem or another using it. :)

The sleep problem sounds remarkably like a BIOS issue, but could also be a driver issue (like the video card). I've found several laptops that won't sleep properly with Vista until the BIOS is updated. You are at your own risk here, but the information to download and upgrade a flash BIOS update should be on Dell's website under support for your laptop. If you mess it up, you will really mess it up.

The CD drive is just bad.. You can verify this by not letting windows start up. Instead, use the F8 key during startup to open the windows startup menu. YOu can let the laptop sit at this window for a while and see if the CD drive continues to pop open. Try opening and closing the tray several times and see if it pops back open right after you close it. If it does, you know its not a software issue. I've seen this quite a few times, and its always a bad drive if I can remember right. Dell just put it in, so it makes sense they will replace it.
Yeah I heard windows seven is coming out at the end of this year, codenamed "Vienna", looks like they just ditched Vista. I might ring up Dell later on today and tell them about the sleep mode issue, and I'm pretty sure i'll have to ring Dell several days to get the CD/DVD drive replaced, although, do they send out the CD/DVD drive so you can manually install it? One again, thanks for the reply.
Hi, If the Dell tech called and did the work recently. I e within a a week or two then its important to act quickly……As the other techs here on the forum have said, you should consider getting the Dell Tech back to fix it pronto……the longer you leave it and the more work you attempt yourself the more difficult it may become to persuade Dell to repeat their Techs visit.. Good luck with this. regards paws

Yeah I heard windows seven is coming out at the end of this year, codenamed "Vienna", looks like they just ditched Vista.

I might ring up Dell later on today and tell them about the sleep mode issue, and I'm pretty sure i'll have to ring Dell several days to get the CD/DVD drive replaced, although, do they send out the CD/DVD drive so you can manually install it?

One again, thanks for the reply.


Yes, Dell often times talks people through how to install simple components like this without spending (wasting) money sending a tech out to do it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI