This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

"New DVD/CD ROM + Blue Screen of Death

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello;

In the course of trying to refurbish my daughter's formerly rather ill-maintained Inspiron 8100 for my own use, among the things I had to replace was the DVD/CD ROM drive. I obtained a "new" Matsushita SR-8175 DVD/CD ROM at a bargain price on eBay. Other than the bezel not being a perfect match or fit, it seemed to work fine at first with Windows Device manager correctly reconizing the drive, indicating it was working properly and appearing have loaded the correct drivers. It played Music CD and DVD movies just fine in Windows Media player and the WinDVD program that came with the computer. However, I didn't particuliarly care for either's DVD movie display so I attempted to load a NERO media player off a CD I got with a new DVD burner for my Dimension 8200 and almost immediately strange things began to happen. First, the dvd drive refused to open except manually. Then everything froze and I had to disconnect the power in order to reboot. When I did, the "Optical Drive" was not found. Rebooted again and everything seemed to be back to normal. I tried to install Nero again and got the Blue Screen of Death. What I was able to write down before the screen disappeared was that it was a "Kernel_Data_Inpage_Error" It also had "Atapi Sys F991FCA8 base @ F910000 Date Start 41107b4d" I also stated it was preforming a memory dump. I rebooted and again, the DVD drive was not found. I essentially went through the same cycle as before. Sometimes all apears well and then everything locks up. With the drive out, all seems well so far. I checked for updated drivers with the manufacturer (Panasonic) and the latest they had was from 2001, so I figured the drivers Windows XP has are at least that updated if not more current. I did rmoves all traces of Nero from the system and things seem to be working smoothly until I try to load anything from the DVD Rom drive and it's back to square one. In addition, my computer seems to be running at a snail's pace off and on. All scans on Windows defender, Spy Sweeper, AdAware SE and Norton AV all come back clear. I've ren CCleaner and resolvet all the issue that came up in the scan. I also ran Norton Disk Doctor which showed 12 unresolvable items dealing with Window's NET progam. I've run the install program twice to repair any damaged files. Other than reformatting and starting over, no one has come up with any logical less drastic solution.

Here's my HiJack This Log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:50:31 AM, on 7/14/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5450.0004)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Startup Mechanic\StartupMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Ztec\Random\RES.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\HiJackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://my.earthlink.net/channel/START
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54729
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=552…cid={SUB_CLCID}
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Startup Manager Scanner] C:\Program Files\Startup Mechanic\StartupMonitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BootSkin Startup Jobs] "C:\PROGRA~1\Stardock\WINCUS~1\BootSkin\BootSkin.exe" /StartupJobs
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Startup: Random Event Sounds.lnk = C:\Program Files\Ztec\Random\RES.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} (LSSupCtl Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/as…rl/LSSupCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {3451DEDE-631F-421C-8127-FD793AFC6CC8} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/as…rl/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {44990200-3C9D-426D-81DF-AAB636FA4345} (Symantec SmartIssue) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/as…trl/tgctlsi.cab
O16 - DPF: {44990301-3C9D-426D-81DF-AAB636FA4345} (Symantec Script Runner Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/as…trl/tgctlsr.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/…b?1151715571265
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1151715803168
O16 - DPF: {A93D84FD-641F-43AE-B963-E6FA84BE7FE7} (LinkSys Content Update) - http://www.linksysfix.com/netcheck/53/install/gtdownls.cab
O16 - DPF: {DBA230D1-8467-4e69-987E-5FAE815A3B45} -
O16 - DPF: {E856B973-45FD-4559-8F82-EAB539144667} (Dell PC Checkup Installer Control) - http://pccheckup.dellfix.com/rel/36/install/gtdownde.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: O&O Defrag 2000 (OOD2000) - O&O Software GmbH - C:\WINDOWS\system32\OOD2000.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe


I appreciate any assistance. Hopefully I'll be able to keep this gem running without putting in too much money, time and effort.

Gerry
Hello;

Actually, I was beginning to notice a slow down in applications opening and responding a couple of weeks before I changed DSL providers and installed Earthlink's Total Access software on my Dimension 8200. After that, it was clear something had changed and something was now gobbling up resources like never before. The computer also began refreshing the desktop icons several times an hour and programs seemed to take forever to load and when they finally did, their response was way off. The mouse has frozen up several times now and at least once the icons didn't appear at all on the desktop after a startup and I had to effect a restart using the task manager.

First thing I did was uninstall the Earthlink software and set up the connections using Windows Network setup. I also ran CCleaner in both the cleanup and fixing issues mode. I also ran Norton's Win Doctor as a double check to make sure any conflicts were resolved. I also ran Spy Sweeper, Window's Defender and AdAware SE as well as Norton AV. AdAware found a couple of "critical" items (several "Acoona" related items that somehow snuck ono my system and some lesser ones as did Spy Sweeper. I've even defragged the HD. Still, the computer seems to be running things much slower that it used to just a week or two ago. I've gone through and cleared out anything I have now real need for. The one exception is both SpySweeper and Startup Mechanic recently started showing that "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\Zone Alarm\zlclient.exe" keeps trying to load at Windows startup. The problem is I unistalled that software many months ago and can not locate any such file on the computer, even after running multiple file searches and checking every file I could think of that it would logically be located.

I'm hoping my hijack This log will reveal something that will be a relatively easy fix.


Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:53:55 AM, on 7/19/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Logitech\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe
C:\Program Files\Startup Mechanic\StartupMonitor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\devldr32.exe
C:\Program Files\YourWare Solutions\FreeRAM XP Pro\FreeRAM XP Pro.exe
C:\Program Files\Second Nature\Snsicon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\Program Files\Modem Helper\MDM_Util.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntvdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SSU.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~2\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\Program Files\Dillobits Software\4UOnly\4UOnly.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://start.earthlink.net/AL/Search
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.earthlink.net/partner/more/msie…ton/search.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://my.myway.com/index.jsp?speedbarconfigchanged
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.earthlink.net/partner/more/msie…ton/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://my.myway.com/index.jsp?speedbarconfigchanged
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {65D886A2-7CA7-479B-BB95-14D1EFB7946A} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {E0E899AB-F487-11D5-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EM_EXEC] C:\PROGRA~1\Logitech\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] "C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe" /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] "RUNDLL32.EXE" NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb11.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon06] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Startup Manager Scanner] "C:\Program Files\Startup Mechanic\StartupMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [FreeRAM XP] "C:\Program Files\YourWare Solutions\FreeRAM XP Pro\FreeRAM XP Pro.exe" -win
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
O4 - Startup: EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check 2.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_SRCV02.EXE
O4 - Startup: Snsicon.lnk = C:\Program Files\Second Nature\Snsicon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\digital imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycmap.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &SMS - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsms.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O12 - Plugin for .htm: C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape Browser\PLUGINS\npTrident.dll
O16 - DPF: {0A5FD7C5-A45C-49FC-ADB5-9952547D5715} (Creative Software AutoUpdate) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15015/CTSUEng.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {38578BF0-0ABB-11D3-9330-0080C6F796A1} (Create & Print ActiveX Plug-in) - http://di.imgag.com/imgag/cp/install/AxCtp.cab
O16 - DPF: {4A3CF76B-EC7A-405D-A67D-8DC6B52AB35B} -
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) -
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1125136795359
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {90A29DA5-D020-4B18-8660-6689520C7CD7} (DmiReader Class) - http://ftp.us.dell.com/fixes/PROFILER.CAB
O16 - DPF: {B49C4597-8721-4789-9250-315DFBD9F525} (IWinAmpActiveX Class) - http://cdn.digitalcity.com/radio/ampx/ampx2.6.1.11_en_dl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BB383206-6DA1-4E80-B62A-3DF950FCC697} (Create & Print ActiveX Plug-in) - http://www.imgag.com/cp/install/AxCtp2.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.av.aol.com/molbin/shared/m…,20/mcgdmgr.cab
O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} (Creative Software AutoUpdate Support Package) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15014/CTPID.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{BD29AE43-B1C1-4F6F-BA2F-4645C364631C}: NameServer = 207.69.188.187 207.69.188.186
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
O21 - SSODL: IconPackager Repair - {1799460C-0BC8-4865-B9DF-4A36CD703FF0} - C:\Program Files\Stardock\Object Desktop\IconPackager\iprepair.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
O23 - Service: AOL TopSpeed Monitor (AOL TopSpeedMonitor) - America Online, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
O23 - Service: EPSON Printer Status Agent2 (EPSONStatusAgent2) - SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
O23 - Service: HP Port Resolver - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hpbpro.exe
O23 - Service: HP Status Server - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hpboid.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: O&O Defrag 2000 (OOD2000) - O&O Software GmbH - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\OOD2000.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (WebrootSpySweeperService) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
O23 - Service: WinPPPoverEthernet - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\WinPoET Broadband Connection\WrOS.EXE (file missing)


Any help, advice, direction and assistance will be greatly appreciated. On top of this, I'm having more than enough difficulties trying to get my DSL service straightened out with my new provider, Earthlink but that's another long story with which I won't bore you all.
I hope I'm not breaking any protocols by updating my original post, but since I have not had a response, I felt it necessary because my situation has worsened considerably since then and what was a minor annoyance has now become serious and deepening problems. Programs are now taking forever to load, compared to just a couple of weeks ago and when they do, the response is very sluggish. Clicking on a button, link or tab may take up to a minute before I get a response and this has never happened before. Also, it seems no matter what program I open, something is just gobbling up the resources even more piggishly than at the time of my last post. I use FreeRam XP Pro and it has never gone below 35% free RAM and even with some of the more memory hungry programs, still generally showed around 50% free RAM. Now , whenever any program runs, the free Memory drops down to 25% or less causing the program to repeated try to free up RAM to the point that I just shut it down. Another item, I'm using TWEAK UI and never before has the focus warning ever ben an issue, but starting around yesterday, I started getting regular focus warning (since it had never happened before, it took a bit to find out what the blinking window was). My mouse cursor has started "sticking" which it has never done in the past. Even getting programs to close takes far longer than it used to. I've run Noton AV with negative results for any virus problems and I try to use as often as possible Dr. WEB virus scan to check links before opening them. I've also run both Spy Sweeper (latest version and fully updated) and Windows Defender (definitions up to date) and both showed nothing present. However, When I try to run AdAware SE Personal (which has picked up spy and adware the other two did not) it continually stops responding when it has scanned around 250 files. As I said in my earlier post, things definitly got worse after installing Earthlink's Total Access software, which I believe I now have pretty much gotton all of it uninstalled, after 6 attempts but now change in whatever is happening now. I also still keep getting warnings from Startup Mechanic/Manager and Spy Sweeper that C:\Program Files\Zone Laps\Zone Alarm\zlclient.exe keeps trying to load at startup and yet I can find absolutely no trace of it on my hard drive.

For the record, I have a Dell Dimension 8200, 512 MB RDRAM, nVida GeForce w/ 64Mb video RAM, DVD ROM and a new 16X Dynex DVD-RW and a now lowly 40 Gb Hard Drive which is just over half filled (there are still 2 open bays for an additional HD when we need to expand). I'm hoping to fill the two empty memory slots with1 Gb of RAM, provided I can get a set of 512's at the right price AND get this situation rectified.

Here is my most recent Hijack This log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:09:02 AM, on 7/22/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Logitech\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe
C:\Program Files\Startup Mechanic\StartupMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\YourWare Solutions\FreeRAM XP Pro\FreeRAM XP Pro.exe
C:\Program Files\Second Nature\Snsicon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\devldr32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SSU.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://start.earthlink.net/AL/Search
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.earthlink.net/partner/more/msie…ton/search.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://my.myway.com/index.jsp?speedbarconfigchanged
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.earthlink.net/partner/more/msie…ton/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://my.myway.com/index.jsp?speedbarconfigchanged
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
O2 - BHO: eCATRegistrar Class - {02336F51-24CA-4422-AB63-18841ADF35E6} - C:\Program Files\QuikCAT\Miliki Dialup Accelerator\3.52.0709\eCATBHO.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {65D886A2-7CA7-479B-BB95-14D1EFB7946A} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {E0E899AB-F487-11D5-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: Miliki Dialup Accelerator - {4BC3AC04-3E56-411D-B465-4FEA06654611} - C:\Program Files\QuikCAT\Miliki Dialup Accelerator\3.52.0709\ThinClientToolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EM_EXEC] C:\PROGRA~1\Logitech\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] "C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe" /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] "RUNDLL32.EXE" NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb11.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon06] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Startup Manager Scanner] "C:\Program Files\Startup Mechanic\StartupMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Binaries\msconfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [FreeRAM XP] "C:\Program Files\YourWare Solutions\FreeRAM XP Pro\FreeRAM XP Pro.exe" -win
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
O4 - Startup: EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check 2.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_SRCV02.EXE
O4 - Startup: Snsicon.lnk = C:\Program Files\Second Nature\Snsicon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\digital imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycmap.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &SMS - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsms.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O12 - Plugin for .htm: C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape Browser\PLUGINS\npTrident.dll
O16 - DPF: {0A5FD7C5-A45C-49FC-ADB5-9952547D5715} (Creative Software AutoUpdate) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15015/CTSUEng.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {38578BF0-0ABB-11D3-9330-0080C6F796A1} (Create & Print ActiveX Plug-in) - http://di.imgag.com/imgag/cp/install/AxCtp.cab
O16 - DPF: {4A3CF76B-EC7A-405D-A67D-8DC6B52AB35B} -
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) -
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1125136795359
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {90A29DA5-D020-4B18-8660-6689520C7CD7} (DmiReader Class) - http://ftp.us.dell.com/fixes/PROFILER.CAB
O16 - DPF: {B49C4597-8721-4789-9250-315DFBD9F525} (IWinAmpActiveX Class) - http://cdn.digitalcity.com/radio/ampx/ampx2.6.1.11_en_dl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BB383206-6DA1-4E80-B62A-3DF950FCC697} (Create & Print ActiveX Plug-in) - http://www.imgag.com/cp/install/AxCtp2.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.av.aol.com/molbin/shared/m…,20/mcgdmgr.cab
O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} (Creative Software AutoUpdate Support Package) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15014/CTPID.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
O21 - SSODL: IconPackager Repair - {1799460C-0BC8-4865-B9DF-4A36CD703FF0} - C:\Program Files\Stardock\Object Desktop\IconPackager\iprepair.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
O23 - Service: AOL TopSpeed Monitor (AOL TopSpeedMonitor) - America Online, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
O23 - Service: EPSON Printer Status Agent2 (EPSONStatusAgent2) - SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
O23 - Service: HP Port Resolver - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hpbpro.exe
O23 - Service: HP Status Server - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hpboid.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: O&O Defrag 2000 (OOD2000) - O&O Software GmbH - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\OOD2000.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (WebrootSpySweeperService) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
O23 - Service: WinPPPoverEthernet - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\WinPoET Broadband Connection\WrOS.EXE (file missing)

Again, if I have violated any rule with this update, I apologize. Btween dealing with Linksys Support over a defective notebook wireless adapter, trying to get my Earthlink DSL service activated going through their outsourced sales, account technical and pre-installation support staff and a record heat wave without air conditioning, I really don't need the this computer glich.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, direction and solution.

Gerry
1excop36,

Please do not start more than one post other wise we will have more than one person working on your log. Reply to this thread only by using the Add-Reply button and not the New Thread button.

Open HJT Scan Only, close your browser and all open windows, check this item and click on Fix Checked

FlashGet download manager - the trial bundles Cydoor adware, but when you register the ads disappear, you can remove this at your option via the Add-Remove programs in the Control Panel.

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {E0E899AB-F487-11D5-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - (no file)

The rest of your log looks ok, if you only used the 30 day evaluation of Spysweeper, uninstall it via the Add-Remove programs in the Control Panel as it is an excellent program but does use some system resouces.


This will by default install the Yahoo Toolbar, you can remove it via the Add-Remove Programs in the Control Panel if you wish.
Download and Install CCleaner
* Click on Run Cleaner
Tutorial for CCleaner


If you are still having problems , let me know and I can direct you to some excellent windows tech support sites that deal with windows problems.
Hello Ken545; First, I apologize for the confusing posts. I actually had two separate posts, one for my Dimension 8200 and one for the Inspiron 8100 that I inherited from my daughter when she bought a new HP. Somehow both posts got joined together. Briefly, as for the laptop, it's all a moot issue now. As I was only about two weeks out from installing a new hard drive, there wasn't a lot of stuff on it so I decided just to reformat it and start from scratch again. After several tries at getting things to function, I've narrowed down the problem to a Windows update or two. One in particuliar that I've read about is a conflict, on some 8100's, between the 2001 Dell nVidia GeForce 2 Go driver and a 2004 one that Windows installs during auto updates. After the obligatory "d'oh!", I'm turning off the autoupdate on the next try and carefully screen each update before installing it. I'm wondering whether something similar, beyond the weird acting Klez.E worm infection that I finally got rid of, is also affecting the Dimension. In any event, since I last posted, that toolbar is no longer there. I did install the trail/free version of ewido anti-spyware as a primary backup check to SpySweeper, of which I own a store bought copy. So that other problem you mentioned isn't an issue. I also have had CCleaner for a couple of years now and use both functions almost every other day. I'm also trying (starting about an hour ago) the "Always Unload DLL" registry tweak. So far, the hard drive is the quietest it's been in weeks when there is an open program and especially Firefox. Hopefully that's a good sign. Also, Earthlink finally got its act together and got my DSL activated so I'm no longer relying on dialup or any of their program. Regarding the Zone Alarm situation that I wrote about earlier. Every time I boot up, I get a message from both Startup Mechanic/Manager and SpySweep that the program at "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\Zone Alarm\zlclient.exe is trying to load at startup. However, there is no such file. About 9-10 months ago, I download what was then the most recent version to try. I started experiencing a horrible memory drain, much like I have been recently, and several other programs began acting oddly. I followed the unistall instructions at the time and that was the last I had anything to do with Zone Alarm, until about a month ago. Then I started getting the warning messages out of the blue. I've used RegSupreme to clean out all references in the registry, I've used regedit and done it manually. Yet everytime I boot back up, it's right back again. Since Zone Alarm was responsible for a similar memory drain like the one my Dimension's been experiencing recently, I'm wondering if this sudden reappearance of this snippit may be affecting the memory. Someone on a Zone Lab's forum suggested I reinstall the lastest version, first to try it again and second to use it, by way of uninstallation, to get rid of the annoying snippit. Again, I apologize for the confusion and any protocols I may have inadvertantly violated. Also, I appreciate the assistance and advice. Hopefully I've started to get the situation on both machines turned around. Gerry (1excop36)
Good Morning Gerry, Sorry about the confusion myself, i :( f you are still having problems on one machine, post the log in this forum and you can start a new thread for the other one. Ken :D
Ken; I'm trying to be as detailed as possible so that perhaps some little thing might stand out as a clue to solving this dilema so I hope you will bear with me. I tried the "Always Unload DLL" tweak, but while individual programs seemed to improve while open, system performance got even worse. A complete boot up took nearly 5 minutes and it seemed like the hard drive was going to wear itself out as it never stopped running what I would call "full out" until I removed the registry tweak and rebooted. So, I'm right back where I was. Just when I think things have improved in terms of program response and function, as I use the computer for any length of time it seems like performance gradually degrades. I have have several programs stop responding entirely and the only way to close them out is by the Task Manager but not by way of the Applications menu. I just keep getting the Not Responding message over and over but the program won't close. I have to go to the Processes menu and end them from there. I'm a little leery of using RegSupreme again for fear of making matters even more fouled up than they are already. For several years now, I've been using FreeRam XP Pro. I realize that there is some difference of opinion as to how useful it is, but I've never had a problem and it seemed rather benign. But when this whole situation began about a month ago now, Anytime that utility is activated, it keeps trying to optimize the memory almost every 5 minutes, whereas before, it would do so either by the program time default or no more than once every hour or so. Also, when this utility is opened now, it seems like the hard drive is working even more "full out". I've now stopped using it but as I said I've never had this type of problem with this program (the most recent version btw) ever before. I've also tried using the "restore" feature but keep getting the message, regardless of what restore point I use, that the system cannot restore itself from the point I selected. I haven't had time to try reinstalling Zone Alarm yet. I really can't see where that would make a difference but stranger things have happened. Let me know if you thing looking at a new Hijack This log might be of any help. I very much appreciate any assistance, suggestions or direction you might be able to provide. I've almost reached the level of frustration, as well as the limits of my modest computer knowledge, where I'm thinking it might be easier to backup what files I need, update the system but putting in a larger hardrive (all it has is a 40gb which nowdays is almost what memory sticks can hold) and start from square one as I am doing with the Inspiron. That won't make my spouse very happy and right now, I really don't have the time but then she's not happy with the present situation either. Again, sorry for any confusion. Regards, Gerry
Gerry, I am going to look over both of your logs and see if anything is wrong malware wise on each, if so I can instruct you to post a new log for that machine. If both come up clean then I can direct you to some excellent tech support sites for windows. Ken Be back soon
Gerry, :D

I looked over both logs and am not finding anything serious on them malware wise.

This may be confusing with two computers but I will try to be specific.

Open HJT Scan Only close your browser and all open windows, check these and click on Fix Checked.


This is your computer on Post 1

O16 - DPF: {DBA230D1-8467-4e69-987E-5FAE815A3B45} -



This is your computer on Post 3, you may have done this already.

FlashGet download manager - the trial bundles Cydoor adware, but when you register the ads disappear
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {E0E899AB-F487-11D5-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - (no file)


C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\Zone Alarm\zlclient.exe
As far as this goes, it looks like you may have not done a clean uninstall. Go to the Add-Remove programs in the Control Panel and remove ZoneAlarm.

Then go to C:\Program Files\ZoneLabs and delete that folder, you may have to be in Safemode to do this.


You can download this program
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/RegCleaner/963771680/1

Go to the software tab and check anything you see for Zone Labs and click on Remove Selected


You can also try this on both systems.

* Click Start>Run
* Type in sfc /scannow, hit Enter.
* Note: there is a space between sfc and /scannow
* This should replace any corrupted/missing system files and will hopefully fix things. You may need your XP disc in your CD drive for this.


Your logs are clean and no malware I can see is present, here are some windows tech support sites that may be able to help you.

Tom Coyote <– Our own forum
PcPitStop <– You can take your system in for a checkup here.
Bleeping Computer <–Good XP Forum
Windows Helpnet <– Excellent XP Forum
Hardwareguys <– Another good one


http://www.techruler.com/tips.html#1
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm



Speedup Windows
http://www.techbuilder.org/recipes/59201471

Hope some of this helps,

ken :D
Ken; I very much appreciate :wavey: the advice and assistance plus all the links. As I mentioned earlier, the Inspiron laptop problem is a moot issue as I did a reformat and clean install of XP and XP SR2 (free upgrade disk from Microsoft is available for those that were not aware but unfortunately I don't have the link). I've discovered a problem with the OEM nVidia GeFore 2 Go drivers, which on my setup disk are dated 2001, and the update that Windows tries to install. But that is for another post to sort out if I cannot resolve it myself. As far as Zone Alarm, except for the registry entries, which keep coming back after deletion, ther are not other files for Zone Labs or Zone Alarm including the Add/Remove list. I'll try some of the procedures you suggested. Failing that, I'll try installing the lastest incarnation of Zone Alarm. If it works without causing any of the prior problems I experienced, issue solved. If not, I'll be able to, hopefully, do a complete uninstall. <_< Now if I can get the Earthlink DSL headache I've been wrestling with since the 6th and find a non-hazardous chemical way of removing recently baked on ink from inside our dryer, finish remodling the master bathroom (which is currently stripped down to the sub-floor), repaint the master bedroom and hallway before laying down a new laminate floor and work in my 18 month check up to make sure the kidney cancer is still gone, I'll be just peachy :rofl: !!!! Ah, early disability retirement is just so fine :oops: Well, I think you've gone as far as you can with the log issue. Thanks again for the assist and recommendations. Regards; Gerry
Hello Gerry,

WOW !! you have a lot going on, good luck to you in the future :thumbup:


Here are some free programs and tips for keeping your system up to date, and to help keep all the riff raff out of your system.

System Restore makes regular backups of all your settings, if you ever had to use this program to restore your
system to a previous date, you will be infected all over again so we need to clean out the previous Restore Points

Turn off System Restore.

* Right-click My Computer.
* Click Properties.
* Click the System Restore tab.
* Check Turn off System Restore on all Drives.
* Click Apply, and then click OK.

Reboot your System

Turn ON System Restore.

* Right-click My Computer.
* ClickProperties.
* Click the System Restore tab.
* UN-Check Turn off System Restore on all Drives.
* Click Apply, and then click OK.

* Go to Start/ Control Panel/ Performance and Maintenance/ System Restore/ Create a New Restore Point
You can name the restore point anything you like, something that you can remember, You will have to be in Catagory View to see this



Download and Install CCleaner
* Click on Run Cleaner
Tutorial for CCleaner



* Go to C:\windows\prefetch and delete all thats in that folder, but not the prefetch folder itself, you should be in Safemode to remove it all.


* Open INTERNET EXPLORER
* Click on the TOOLS MENU
* Then INTERNET OPTIONS
* At the GENERAL TAB (which should be the first tab you are currently on),
* click on the DELETE FILES BUTTON and put a checkmark in DELETE ALL OFFLINE CONTENT.
* Then press the OK BUTTON . This may take quite a while, so do not be alarmed with how long it takes.
* When it is done, your Temporary Internet Files will now be deleted.


Now Empty your Recycle Bin




* Make sure that your ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE is up to date and run a full scan at least once aweek.

* Here are Free Anti-Virus Programs if you need one
AVG Free Edition
AntVir Personal Edition



* Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4
Check for Updates/ Immunize and run a Full System Scan on a regular basis.


* Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06
Check for Updates and run a Full System Scan on a regular basis.


* Spyware Blaster It will prevent most spyware from ever being installed.


* Spyware Guard It offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.


* Win Patrol This program will warn you when any changes are being made to your system and
give you the option to deny the change.


* IE- Spyad IE-Spyad places over 4000 web sites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents downloads and (cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.


* Firefox Browser
It has more features and is a lot more secure than IE. It is a very easy and painless download and install, it will no way interfere with IE, you can use them both. When it asks you if you want it to be your default browser, say NO and take the checkmark out of the box to ask you again. After you use this for awhile, you will want to make it your default.


* Thunderbird Mail There companion mail program was highly favored in PCWorld Magazine, this has a good spam filter and is more secure than Outlook Express.


* Zone Alarm Here is a free Firewall from Zone Labs, I wouldn't access the internet without it.


* WINDOWS UPDATES - Enable Automatic Updates
Right click on MY COMPUTER/Click on PROPERTIES/ AUTOMATIC UPDATES and put a mark in the radio button
DOWNLOAD UPDATES FOR ME BUT LET ME CHOOSE WHEN TO INSTALL THEM.

* Go to START/ CONTROL PANEL> PERFORMANCE AND MAINTENANCE> REARRANGE ITEMS ON YOUR HARD DISK TO MAKE PROGRAMS RUN FASTER
This is the Windows Disk Defragger, run this maybe once or twice a month to keep your system running good. The first time you run it, it may take awhile.


Thanks for stopping by Tom Coyote
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI