This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

CD-ROM Troubles

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I thought I was suffering from a virus as my pc was running very slow and had several issues, one of which being my cd-rom acting up. Luckily, I was able to solve most my my troubles with the friendly help provided here in a different topic area but was referred here on this one. Here is my problem, if I push the button at the drive to eject the disk, I can hear the device activating and spinning the disk along with a green light that lights up but it will not open to eject. I have tried selecting eject from the device in my computer but it sometimes will open half way then close or not open at all. The device does work, unfortunately I have to manually pry it open to change a disk. Is this something that can be easily be fixed? I an running a Dell Dimension 8300 computer with Windows XP. I have a separate CD-Writer under the drive in question along with an A drive. Thanks for any help. I'm not sure if this helps any but I tried to run GMER Rootkit Scanner Friday night but it kept freezing. I was kind of successful after the third attempt. The only problem was that it finally started at 11:01 P.M. on Friday was still scanning Saturday morning at 10:00 but very, very slow and I had to close out to do some work. I was unable to find any logs from any scans but it had detected the following prior to terminating the scan: Type — Name — Value SSDT — \??\C:\ProgramFiles\SUPERAntispyware\SASKUTIL.sys — ZwTerminateProcess [0xF6560620] .text — C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\nv4.mini.sys — section is writeable [0xF7D13360, 0x3… Attached Device — \FileSystem\Fastfat\Fat — fltmgr.sys Device — \FileSystem\Fs.Rec\FileSystem\UdfsDcRomRecognizer — fltmgr.sys Device — \FileSystem\Fs.Rec\FileSystem\FatCdRomRecognizer — fltmgr.sys Device — \FileSystem\Fs.Rec\FileSystem\CdfsRecognizer — fltmgr.sys Device — \FileSystem\Fs.Rec\FileSystem\FatDiskRecognizer — fltmgr.sys Device — \FileSystem\Fs.Rec\FileSystem\UdfsDiskRecognizer — fltmgr.sys Device — \FileSystem\Cdfs\Cdfs — fltmgr.sys

Here is my problem, if I push the button at the drive to eject the disk, I can hear the device activating and spinning the disk along with a green light that lights up but it will not open to eject. I have tried selecting eject from the device in my computer but it sometimes will open half way then close or not open at all. The device does work, unfortunately I have to manually pry it open to change a disk. Is this something that can be easily be fixed?


Hi and sorry to hear about your problems.

Best of what you have said, and I kinda supect you know the answer. I would said the drive is failing and may be best to change it out. CD rom drive these days are so cheap and easy to replace.

If you do decide to replace the drive be sure to note the pin selection in back of the drive, MAster, Slave, Cable Select and set up the new drive the same way so you will not have any config. problems.

Kind regards,

Jimbo

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI