This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Laptop won't read cd/dvd drive...

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I haven't used it in a month or two, but when trying to back-up some by laptop, I realized that it is not reading or even seeing my cd/dvd drive….is there anything I can do to troubleshoot and get it going again, or should I take it into a repair shop. Overall, my computer is working fine, so I don't think it is a virus or malware…but I may be wrong on that. I had some issues a couple of months ago which was resolved through here…please let me know what I should do…I have pasted a copy of a HJT log in case that may help… Thank you! 📎HJT_for_ShawBuck.txt
Hi ShawBuck, Is the CD/DVD drive listed in Device Manager. Does it give status of: "This Device is running properly" Consider reinstalling the driver, if any. Is the CD/DVD drive listed correctly in CMOS/BIOS setup? Does the drive drawer open correctly? If you place a CD/DVD disk into the drive and close the drawer does it spin up? or attempt to spin and then stop?
Thanks Doug… I just checked the "Device Manager", and it is listed…but has a yellow circle thingy next to it. I clicked it and the following message came up: "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)" I will click the "troubleshoot" button and get back to you….or is there something else I should do? Please advise…thanks again!
Hi ShawBuck,

You are already on the right track, and you can proceed as you suggested.
Since the warning is in "yellow", then the device driver is either missing or corrupted.

Here is a Microsoft Support article that will most likely assist you:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

Post back with your success or with additional questions.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI