This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

I use external Motorola SB modem. Do I need the internal one also?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My Gateway GT5468 Desktop 32-bit Vista SP1 came with an internal Unibryce fax/data modem already installed. Even since day of purchase, I have always connected to the Web with my external Motorola Surfboard High Speed Cable modem with ethernet positioned between PC and wall jack. I was told by Gateway that the internal modem is mainly if not only for faxing and dial-up connection. Since I don't and never will fax from PC, I uninstalled the internal modem. But before the unistall, I hadn't touched anything. Right after uninstalling the internal modem, I noticed a PCI Simple Communicatons Controller device listed in Device Mgr. I asked Gateway what this was and they replied: the PCI device has nothing to do with a modem and you should keep it. So, can you tell me what this PCI SC controller is for and if I do not need this, how can I uninstall it permanently safely? It seems to reinstall itself also and shows up on prgm start-up list each time. Thank you.
Hi, From what I can read it is a common name Windows gives to every unkown internal modem. Have you physically removed the internal modem card from your computer, because it may be reconnecting if you have not. Please let me know. Regards, John.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI