This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Uninstallation Difficulties (uninstaller won't work properly?)

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I've been having problems uninstalling programmes and software on my computer. I run a [fairly new] Windows Vista, 64-bit(if other info is needed, please ask, as I am new to these forums and don't know what PC info I'm supposed to supply). It's not the fact that I don't understand HOW to uninstall, but rather, from what I've experienced, it seems as if the actual uninstaller won't work properly. I believe it might have been caused by my incorrect installing of a multi-function PC Fax machine(Brother MFC-465CN). In my desperate attempts to get the MC Centre working, I connected the USB to the computer without the installation CD(I thought I'd lost it, so I tried to see if installation would ensue without the CD). Please excuse my inexperienced computer logic. :wacko: Some how some way, I'd managed to get part of the Multi-function programmes to get installed–> PaperPort. When I saw this, I actually had no idea it was one of the applications from the PC Multi-function Centre. I initially thought it was a separate programme that Microsoft had that was able to work in conjunction with any printer/fax machines. Several weeks later, I rummaged around my desk area and found the installation disc. I tried to install it, but the installer froze, so I ended the programme and decided to try again later. I tried again today, and while it was installing, I remembered that I had the printer connected to the PC. I unplugged the USB, and then my computer went to the blue error screen(BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH? :smack: ). It's at this point that I began to panic, because this PC is a new one (barely a month old), and already there's the blue screen! When it rebooted, I tried to uninstall PaperPort, but whenever it gets to the actual uninstalling process, it leads to the blue screen. When it rebooted a second time, I tried to remove Paperport by going to the registry(don't think I did it right, as the PaperPort application is still visible in the Add/Remove programmes list). Sorry for the lengthy explanation. I wanted to put everything in there so as to provide a sufficient amount of information. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? :(
Right the most obvious thing that comes to mind is admin rights, Vista requires admin rights to do many things, especially when it comes to changes in the files, my advice is restore if you can, as it's that new maybe consider backing up files you can't lose and restore to out of the box condition, this may seem extreme, but the blue screen is driver based, and IMHO leaving such things unresolved "may" lead to future issues that would become near impossible to trace. I don't suggest it lightly, but given how new it is, it's the approach that gives the greatest peace of mind, if it wasn't as new I would not of suggested this due to the amount of stuff a person would probably have to save. Now if you follow that or not, the remainder is the same, to start go to the makers site and download the latest driver for that OS, forget the disk, they often have outdated drivers on due to how long they may of been on the shelf waiting to be bought. Once you have the driver saved disable protection (belt and braces approach), but do NOT stop the firewall or you will get an infection, but some protection can mess up installs. Now I assume this is a USB connection, make sure the lead is unplugged to start with, then right click on the install file and select to run as admin, accept the UAC then proceed as you would normally, and follow the on screen prompts and connect the printer when required, if all goes well you should have a working printer at the end, here's hoping.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI