I've been getting the dreaded Blue Screen of Death pretty regularly for a few weeks now. I went to nutnworks for that and another issue. The other issue seemed to get resolved but I can't seem to stop getting the BSOD. They've sent me here. I've attached a PPT file here that includes the error messages I received after rebooting from one of the most recent BSOD. Thanks for any help you can provide.
I read your entire log over on Nutnworks - although I cannot help you directly, here is a link that may help us to help you if you give us some stop code/s you may be getting when you get your next BSOD. (You may need to register to get the full information without the advertisements that confuse)
There are many knowledged techs here at WTT who will also come by to assist you in seeking a solution to your problem.
Post back with error codes or other helpful information please. The link in my signature maybe helpful for you.
The ppt uploaded indicates a 0X1000007e with OP1 = 0xc0000005 = Exception not handled.
One good possibility is bad ram. There are two programs that are normally used to test computer memory, Memtest86 and Microsoft Memory Diagnostic. They are available from the following locations:
They are bootable CD ISO images. You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this. Another called ISO Recorder is also very easy to use.
I've downloaded and run RegCure after coming to softpedia, which offered Microsoft Windows Memory Diagnostic : Free Download. It doesn't offer a results file so I've captured a screenshot of the results page of the app after running it. The results are attached in the PPT file. I haven't chosen to fix any of the problems - I'll wait for your reply. Thanks.
We at WTT do not recommend Registry Cleaning software. I am thankful you have notchosen to fix any of the problems.
You may like to read this thread offering the problems found if using Registry fixes. When you are thinking of installing new software, please do not click on the advertisements within the links, they cause more trouble than enough as you can now understand with your download of RegCure.
Wait for Ztruker to come by to continue with help for you within this thread. Tell us the results of the two tests that Ztruker advised in his last post would help immensely.
Yes, I must've found my way to the wrong software just by searching the name that ztrucker mentioned (microsoft memory diagnostic), because the link he provided for that software didn't work. If you could provide a working link, that would help. Also, I'm not sure I understand his instructions on burning the software and the ISO image, etc. If you could clarify that process it would help. Thanks.
My apologies ab123. I somehow got a comma appended to the end of the address fro the MS Memory diag link. I fixed it in my previous post and am also giving it here:
Microsoft Memory Diagnostic
As that article says, you can create a 3.5" bootable floppy or a bootable CD. Download which ever one you need. Might be a good idea to print out the instructions on how to use it.
Let it run for a minimum of 3 passes. Even better would be to let it run over night.
I ran the Microsoft Memory Diagnostic - I did 4 passes on the default settings, and then another 4 passes on the full-suite setting (after pressing T), which ran for about 6 hours or so. The tool reported no errors or problems of any kind so I guess it's not the memory.
On a separate note, I was able to capture the Stop message from my most recent BSOD. It appeared as follows:
0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xA57EDC19, 0xA75E1B70, 0xA75E186C)
rt2500vsb.sys - Address A57EDC19 base at A57DF000, DateStamp 425ed8e1
Hope that information helps.
Did you make any changes to your computer around the time the BSODs started happening? Did you install or remove any software, did you add or remove any hardware, did you update any drivers?
Everything I'm reading about this error points to a hardware problem, either a driver or the physical hardware itself.
Please download Greg Topola's System Information for Windows. You don't need to install anything, just run the siw.exe. Once it's done, click on File then Create log file. Save it to your Desktop. It will be an .html file.
Next, you need to compress it to a zip file then upload it here. You should be able to right click on the file on your desktop and select an option to compress to zip. Once that's done, use the Browse and Upload buttons below the message input area here on WTT to upload the file.
Once it's uploaded, click on the down arrow above the Upload button and select the file you just uploaded. This will place a link to that file in your post. I can then download it and look at it to see what hard ware/software you have installed. This may help to figure out what is going on.
Before I run SIW - my McAfee Anti-Virus detected SiwPwdSpy.dll as a PWCrack-Finder, aka a Password Cracker. Something about that is very unsettling to me. Can you please explain why it has something that is referred to as a password cracker and why I shouldn't be worried about that? Thanks.
So I realized it's because I ran Eureka! accidentally, not understanding that creating the log file was all I was supposed to do. I've attached it here. In terms of programs I've added or major changes - none that I can really think of. I'll try to dip into the recesses of my memory to see what I can come up with. In the meantime, thanks again for the help.
📎SIW_20090126_183943_ADAM.zip
First, open Control Panel and click on Windows Firewall. If it's Off, turn it on because you will be disabling any other FIrewall and Anti-virus in the following steps.
Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab then the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if the BSOD occurs now.
If okay then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.
If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if BSOD occurs now.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.
Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best. Enable everything else you disabled.
Disable Windows Firewall if you enabled it at the start of this process.
Edit: Also look through your list of installed software and remove any you are not using. You can always reinstall them later if needed. After you do that, install CCleaner. Once you start it, go through the areas in the left panel and uncheck any you don't want cleaned up. For me, I keep cookies, history, recently typed URLs, things like that. Also look under the Applications tab.
Once you've done that, click the Analyze button to see what CCleaner will delete. Look through it and if it looks okay then click the Run CCleaner button to remove any accumulated junk from your hard drive.
Ok, so I've booted into safe mode with networking but also used the tutorial you provided to remove processes from my startup. I restarted into safe mode with networking again after making the changes. Should I leave it in this state for a few days to see if I continue having the problem? Or should I restart and boot in normal mode but with the changes I made to see if what I removed from the processes fixed the problem?
In other words, what gets removed from the process by booting into safe mode, that would make it valuable to remain in safe mode?
Also - do you recommend I go through all the steps you listed in your post instead of what I did (which was remove processes from startup using the tutorial without testing item by item as you mentioned doing in your last post).