This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Help with Blue Screen of Death Error

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi all. A couple of weeks ago I started to get the BSOD on my desktop that is running XP. According to the error message it is being caused by an issue with the tcpip.sys file. I was going to check the dump files to see if they had anything but unfortunately the computer was set to not create them for some reason. I have changed the settings so they will be generated in the future. In the absence of these files is there anything else I can check to see what the cause is or do I need to wait for the next time it happens? Thanks

Hi all. A couple of weeks ago I started to get the BSOD on my desktop that is running XP. According to the error message it is being caused by an issue with the tcpip.sys file. I was going to check the dump files to see if they had anything but unfortunately the computer was set to not create them for some reason. I have changed the settings so they will be generated in the future. In the absence of these files is there anything else I can check to see what the cause is or do I need to wait for the next time it happens?

Thanks


Hiya SilentCodingOne,
Sorry to hear about your problems, It would be very helpful if you could add the info of the error message in your next posting or when the BSOD happens again to give us more info needed to help you with your problems so that a solution could be found. Thanks and may you have a good day.

Jimbo1
Ok so it finally happened again and the following is what WhoCrashed told me about the crash: On Wed 9/28/2011 1:55:10 AM GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini092711-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: aswtdi.sys (aswTdi+0xA57) Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFB146B217, 0xFFFFFFFFB01AC934, 0x0) Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aswtdi.sys product: avast! Antivirus System company: ALWIL Software description: avast! TDI Filter Driver Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswtdi.sys (avast! TDI Filter Driver, ALWIL Software). Google query: aswtdi.sys ALWIL Software KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M Odd thing is I do not use Avast for Anti Virus protection and have not had it on the computer for awhile. Can I simply remove the file in question since the software is no longer on the computer? I have also attached the dump file itself in case it has more info. Thanks
Removing old software, especially anti-virus programs with "add and remove programs" if mostly an incomplete process (your lucky it wasn't Nortons you tried to remove!) and that probably corrupted Avast driver is causing your OS grief.

This should remove all traces of Avast:
Download aswclear.exe to your desktop and follow the instructions.

Cheers,
Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI