This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

OE INCOMING EMAIL NOTIFY SOUND NOT WORKING

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello All, I have lost my email message notification sound… This has happened before and I simply went into the control panel and re checked the relevant box.. This does not work now… I have also downloaded a number of Reg cure programs to no avail…. Please help !!! Julian
Welcome to WhatTheTech. Ok.. First of all, I can't stress enough that "reg cure" programs are not the cure all solution for every problem you don't know how to solve. Using one is asking for more trouble. So, uninstall them all. Now, open Outlook Express and click tools -> options -> general tab -> check "Play sound when new messages arrive." If it is checked, go to control panel -> sounds and audio devices -> sounds tab -> Select "Windows Default" for your sound scheme.
Hello appleoddity, Thank you for your suggestion, however, both were done but no avail… Under the Sounds tab in 'Sounds and Audio, I see that now the only 'mail notify' option is under 'windows messenger' and not under the first heading of 'Windows'….. Is it possible that I have lost the option somehow to use the notify under 'windows' ?
Did you install Windows Live Mail by any chance? Its called "New Mail Notification." You don't see that listed anymore?
I have not installed any new programs recently. In Sound and Devices, under Sounds the only reference to notify is under the Windows Messenger subheading and not at the beginning under just Windows…. This makes me think that the word 'new message notify' has strangely gone missing !!! My first 3 lines are - Asterisk, Device Failed, Exit windows………. Can you confirm that the wording should exist I thought it was about 8 or so options from the first section called Windows ? Hope this all makes sense - This is really strange…. Julian
Hi JULIAN009,

I would like you to confirm you are actually running Outlook Express. You do not say what email program you run in any of your posts. When asking for assistance follow the link in my signature which will help us give you the best help with your issue.

If it is OE you are running, you could go to this link for information.

kind regards,
Yes, it all makes perfect sense.

Your sounds are definitely messed up. I compared your "first three lines" to my first three lines in sounds and you are missing a bunch of stuff. I looked around on the internet about how to reinstall the default sound scheme in windows. I have had a bit of trouble finding a lot of information on the subject. However, I did find this:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Look at item #6. I downloaded the .reg file and looked at it. It looks promising for your problem.

I must warn you that this is a registry tweak and you should make a backup of your registry before installing it. Please create a system restore point prior to downloading and installing this .reg file. Then, go ahead and merge its contents with your registry and reboot. See if your mail notification sound is listed in sounds and audio devices again, and see if it works.

I found one other possible solution, which is to change your sound scheme to none, apply the changes, then change it back to windows default. This might work also.
YES !!!! I HAVE SOUND !! THANK YOU….. I did all the cleaning and re booting you suggested but nothing - I then used that link #6 and I have a whole load of options again. The link/ tweak works ! Thanks again, Julian
Great.. I'm glad you got the problem resolved. And especially thank you for posting back here and letting us know. Have a great day and come back around anytime. :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI