This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

lost my audio sound

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have lost my audio on my computer. I went to device manager and there was a yellow icon next to the sound max integrated digital audio device. I troubleshooted it, rebooted, and the yellow icon was gone, buyt still no sound. Any suggestions?
Hi ma3572, Whilst we are awaiting a reply from yourself, can you do the following; 1) Ensure your sound levels are all up, nothing is muted. If you're on a laptop, make sure there isn't a button on there that's muting your sound 2) On programs like Windows Live Messenger, go to Tools > Audio & Video Setup and ensure sound is as high as it can be. Messenger can sometimes interfere with your sound options. And don't do this just yet, but you may need to uninstall your sound device via Device Manager and reboot and re-install it again. 'Bob

Hi ma3572.

What did you do to troubleshoot the problem? Need that information to know what else we can suggest.


If you look at my postings in the hijackthis and inf3ectious logs forum , you will see that I have been doing alot of things to remove viruses and infected files.
One of the last things I did was to remove an 020 file that was listed in my hijackthis log, as requested by the person helping me. I am not 100% sure if I lost sound before or after deleting this file.

As far as truobleshooting the sound problem, I went to device manager, highlighted the audio device( it had a yellow exclamation point next to it) and clicked on the troubleshooting box and the program did its' thing and told me, afterwards,to reboot. I did that and the device was listed as working properly and the exclamation point was gone. So I assume its ok.
ma3572, you didn't mention that you had been working on malware removal so I did not think to look there, sorry.

Okay, read through your malware threads, didn't see anything that would specifically disable your sound. I also didn't see anything there that tells me what kind of sound card you have. Is it built into the system board or is an addon PCI card?

First thing to try is to go back into Device Manager, find the sound card and uninstall it (right click on it and select Uninstall). Once this is done, shutdown and reboot. XP will rediscover your sound card/chip and reinstall the drivers for it on the next boot.

If this doesn't bring your sound back, go to the web site of the manufacturer, download and install the latest driver, see if that helps.

If the sound in built into the system board, then you would get the driver from the computer manufacturer's web site if it's a normal vendor made system from Dell, HO, Compaq, Toshiba, etc. If it's a home built system then you would go to the web site of the system board manufacturer.

If it's an addon PCI card then you would go to the website of the card manufacturer.

Please post back if you need help finding the right driver and also please post back with results of the above, thanks.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI