This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

How To Get Sounds And Notifications In Aol

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Good morning, I'm having trouble with the AOL sounds. When I open AOL, it does not say, "Welcome", nor when I get an Instant Message does it chime. Anyone have any ideas how to adjust sound for AOL? Thanks, Beth
I should also note I went into "Settings" and restored all my default AOL sounds, still not working. Strange thing is when I change a setting, it gives me a chime. If my computer never said, "Welcome", or "Goodbye", I would be ok with that. I only wish it would alert me if I have an Instant Message. Any ideas? Thanks again
Sorry about the new reply as Im not sure how to edit to add information to topic. After many hours of troubleshooting, I found what may be the problem. When I go into Control Panel/ Sounds,Speech,Audio/ Sounds and Audio Devices, click on the sound tab, go to program events, and scroll down to AOL_US (Default Sounds) every one listed says that the files are not found. On the off chance, could this be the problem?
hey beth sorry i havent been on this site very long and i gave you some advice for your sounds a little while back !!!! I dont want to make the people here at this site made at me for trying to help others and give them a little break , i do pc repair as a night job where i live but yet i dont know everything so i need to ask for help also every now and then , i just thought that you needed to try what i sujusted, i dont want you to think that i was blowing you off for i dont work for this site and would like to say that you are very welcome if my advice helped you in any way , glad that you got things working !!! if i can help just ask anytime !!! Mike
Hi mikeislearning, We very much welcome your contributions and posts on this OCP forum. :thumbup: Sometimes a staff member will respond…sometimes they won't, but all contributions are equally appreciated. So it's good to have you around and please feel free to post here on OCP forum. Regards paws
Hi Mike, I'm awfully happy to hear from you again. I did as you suggested with the downloads, and if you read my other topic you'll see that I do have some sound now (thank you, once again). The only one I had a problem with was the Standard Game Port. The screen said, "Software for this device is now installed, but may not work correctly. Windows cannot determine the settings for this device. Consult the documentation that came with this device and use the resource tab to set the configuration (Code34)". Is there something I can do to correct the Standard Game Port? If you read my post above (third one) I talked about the AOL_US (Default Sounds) saying that the files are not found Any idea what that's about? Hope to hear from you soon, Beth
hello beth , i read your post and it sounds !!! like you need to go to( sounds and audio devicesand check to see if you have any sound scheams saved in you sounds tab !!! or if you use any scheams at all , it willbe located in the little bar in the center oof the window ????? you may also need to check you aol settings to activate the sounds for in your messenger , i dont use aol and would need to know what type of messenger that you use !!! and alos it would depend on if aol sounds are compatible with the type of messenger or even the version that you use !!! if you get back to me and let me know i will see if i can help you with this prob !!!! hope that we can fix this !!!! Mike
Hi again, I looked, and there was no sound scheme (it was blank). There is Windows Default, which I clicked on and saved it as. Still no sound. I have already checked my AOL settings and they are all on/ok. I'm not sure what you mean by a messenger, so Im not sure what type I have. Would you mind explaining what it is? Thanks
okay , if you dont know what i mean by a messenger you must not have one !!!! well i guess i better ask to make sure , have you ever used yahoo and the messenger that is down loadable so that you can instant message or video chat , msn has one also called windows mesenger that uses live search
I received this computer from my sister. Im not really sure what she had on here before I got it. I do know what Yahoo and MSN are, but I do not use them. I found something that says Windows Messenger and Windows Explorer in my sound/audio device area.
hello Beth , okay first , we are wandering away from you pc's problem !!!!i read in your post that it shows that your files for AOL are not installed !!! you need to go to AOL and download them befor they will work , it sounds like part of your down load from AOL is either corrupt or the install is incompleat , this will only be resolved by going to AOL and useing there help or contacting them thru there trouble shooter , i feel this would be your best avenue for they know there site the best and can direct you to the place to get your sounds for there programs, i hope this helps you or we need to get you hooked up with another person to help you for i do not know AOL at all and each site works differntly sorry i couldnt help you with your files on sound from AOL if i can help you with anything else just ask
Hi Mike, I've tried the uninstall/install, and went through the troubleshooting area. It's not hindering my computer, so I'll learn to live with it. Thanks for your assistance with this and the other post. Regards, Beth

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI