This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

C drive close to full.How do I put stuff on D drive?

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have an acer aspire 3000 with a 60gb hard drive that is partitioned just about in half 26.3 gb for C and I have 9.53 gb of free space left on that drive.D drive 26.5 gb is empty and I don't know how to put things on it or what I should move there. I was running low on virtual memery and C drive had to set up paging files.
Hi, if you wanted to move stuff from your C drive to D then you could consider starting with your "My Documents" folder, as on most folks machines this tends to fill up fairly quickly.. If you right click on "My Computer" and click on Properties then you will be able to find out fairly easily its size. you can then decide if you want to move it to D: and the onscreen boxes will effect the move for you. Regards paws
Hi Paw's. Thanks very much for your help! My document's was 6.86gbs & I moved them to my D drive. I now have 16gb free space on drive C & 19 .6gb left on my D drive. I notice that my computer is faster now.What would be a good second thing to move? Is it ok to move programs there? Should I set up paging files and if so how?
Hi, Glad you got it sorted and made a bit of "elbow room"….. :thumbup:
Before you do anything else I would be inclined to do a "disc clean up" to get rid of all unnecessary temp files etc
You could use Ccleaner available from here:
http://www.ccleaner.com/download
Just stick to cleaning out the temp stuff and other junk….(leave the Registry Issues) alone for the time being)

The Cc tool will tell you how much junk it has removed……………

When this has finished (takes between a second or two for a reasonably clean system to 20 minutes or maybe much longer for a system that is really junked up)
then:
its time to do a defrag……
here's the how: (Although I guess from the tone of your posts that you are fully up to speed on this procedure)

First close down your machine, wait 30 seconds with a blank black screen and then re-start it:
Then:

1 Click on Start
2 Click on All Programs
3 Click on Accessories
4 Click on System tools
5 Click on Disc Defragmenter
and defrag away!
This could take a few hours and you will not easily be able to use your machine whilst its running.
TIP:
Consider setting it to run last thing at night and let it get on with the job overnight, so in the morning, its all done and ready to go.

Now close down your machine, wait 30 seconds with a blank black screen and then re-start it

After a couple or more close downs and restarts you will be finished with this part of the job.

If you move any other data files then check on the size first to make sure that the effort of the move is worthwhile…….If you move other data files you will probably need to alter the settings on your applications that create the data files concerned to tell it /them the location where you want the data to be saved to in the future………you may find this more trouble than it's worth!

Unless you are experiencet at setting the size of the Windows page file then it's probably best to let Windows handle it for you…however as always the choice is yours

When it comes to moving programs………my advice is don't even attempt it………..the only really safe way of moving programs (some would say) is to uninstall them from one drive/partition, and then reinstall them where required……….

Experts may sometimes decide to place programs on a different partition/drives, but some programmers write the code so that the program tries to automatically install to the C drive (as this is considered "usual") its perfectly possible for you to direct where you want the program installed, but you will need to keep your wits about you when installing, to get it to install on anything other C:

Good luck
Regards
paws
Thanks Paws! ccleaner is great ! It cleaned almost a GB. I have ATF cleaner and it is very limited in comparison. I will defrag tonight. I not going to move anything else to my D drive for now. I have worked on my registry a tiny bit with a trial program I have called Advanced Task Manager. Still very new to computers and somewhat afraid to mess with the registry unless I am sure of what I am doing. I have seen posts that warned a that registry cleaners can be damaging.I used ccleaner just to scan and there was a bunch of stuff. Safe to use it? It would take me forever to learn to do all that manually.
Hi, Yes you are very wise to leave the Registry alone………….
altering settings in there (unless you are really experienced in the ways of the Registry or have an expert sitting by your shoulder) is a quick and efficient way of rendering your machine unbootable……
before even taking a look at it…. let alone even thinking of altering anything, you should make a complete back up of your Registry………Erunt is good for this: for details see here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/ERUNT/erunt.html
I back up the Registry on my customers machines as a matter of routine before making any system changes at all…..

Registry cleaners can be useful to cure specific problems in specific circumstances and when operated by experts……however the general use of such tools…merely in an attempt to "speed things up"……is not a strategy that I would recommend or endorse.
The C Cleaner tool is generally considered to be safe for cleaning out your temp files, (slightly more aggressive than the ATF by Atribune tool that you have been using.)…….but it can take out some of your logfiles that can be useful to a Technician or malware fighter who is trying to diagnose/fix your machine….As always the choice is yours..
I have no experience of the Advanced Task Managerapplication,,,,but do be very careful if tempted to stop running processes……..that can also end in tears!
Well done on cleaning up your machine
Regards
paws
Hi Paws. Well My D drive defraged just fine but when C was finished it did not seem to have done very much so I tried again and received a message stating that the drive may be corrupted and that I should run errer checking.I scheduled the task, shut down my machine for at least 30 seconds and ran it. It did not give me any results that I noticed. I defraged again and this time it did work but there where still alot of files that did not defrag. I copied the log so that maybee you would tell me your take on it. Thanks again for all your help. Volume ACER (C:) Volume size = 26.38 GB Cluster size = 16 KB Used space = 7.39 GB Free space = 18.99 GB Percent free space = 71 % Volume fragmentation Total fragmentation = 7 % File fragmentation = 14 % Free space fragmentation = 0 % File fragmentation Total files = 33,209 Average file size = 188 KB Total fragmented files = 156 Total excess fragments = 822 Average fragments per file = 1.02 Pagefile fragmentation Pagefile size = 672 MB Total fragments = 1 Folder fragmentation Total folders = 2,650 Fragmented folders = 15 Excess folder fragments = 48 ——————————————————————————– Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented 4 23 MB \I386\SP3.CAB 5 64 KB \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WBEM\Logs\WBEMESS.LO_ 4 5 MB \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WBEM\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.DATA 7 878 KB \WINDOWS\Prefetch\NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf 232 30 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVG8\UPDATE\BACKUP\INCAVI.AVM 4 8 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVG8\Log\AVGUPD.LOG 5 4 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVG8\Log\AVILDR.LOG 12 600 KB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVG8\Log\AVGSCHED.LOG 5 446 KB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVG8\Log\AVGWD.LOG 14 777 KB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVG8\Log\AVGRS.LOG 4 4 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Unknown Artist\Unknown Album (11-13-2008 4-26-25 PM)\03 Track 3.wma 46 23 MB \Documents and Settings\C J\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\CurrentDatabase_360.wmdb 25 2 MB \Program Files\Tall Emu\Online Armor\OACACHED.DAT 6 42 MB \Program Files\Java\JRE6\LIB\RT.JAR 5 8 MB \System Volume Information\_restore{B6387AD4-48E1-4511-AA40-A245D4C401AE}\RP115\A0016255.EXE 4 20 MB \System Volume Information\_restore{B6387AD4-48E1-4511-AA40-A245D4C401AE}\RP115\SNAPSHOT\_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE_PerRestoreCopy_RegReplaceBak 15 27 MB \System Volume Information\_restore{B6387AD4-48E1-4511-AA40-A245D4C401AE}\RP116\A0016510.EXE 5 20 MB \System Volume Information\_restore{B6387AD4-48E1-4511-AA40-A245D4C401AE}\RP116\SNAPSHOT\_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE 4 1 MB \System Volume Information\_restore{B6387AD4-48E1-4511-AA40-A245D4C401AE}\RP116\SNAPSHOT\Repository\FS\INDEX.BTR 6 3 MB \System Volume Information\_restore{B6387AD4-48E1-4511-AA40-A245D4C401AE}\RP117\A0020002.EXE 6 2 MB \System Volume Information\_restore{B6387AD4-48E1-4511-AA40-A245D4C401AE}\RP117\A0020003.EXE 22 27 MB \System Volume Information\_restore{B6387AD4-48E1-4511-AA40-A245D4C401AE}\RP117\A0020076.EXE 51 1,024 KB \System Volume Information\_restore{B6387AD4-48E1-4511-AA40-A245D4C401AE}\RP118\change.log.4 44 1,024 KB \System Volume Information\_restore{B6387AD4-48E1-4511-AA40-A245D4C401AE}\RP118\change.log.5 47 1,024 KB \System Volume Information\_restore{B6387AD4-48E1-4511-AA40-A245D4C401AE}\RP118\change.log.6 39 1,024 KB \System Volume Information\_restore{B6387AD4-48E1-4511-AA40-A245D4C401AE}\RP118\change.log.7 42 1,024 KB \System Volume Information\_restore{B6387AD4-48E1-4511-AA40-A245D4C401AE}\RP118\change.log.9 16 416 KB \System Volume Information\_restore{B6387AD4-48E1-4511-AA40-A245D4C401AE}\RP118\change.log.11 10 165 KB \System Volume Information\_restore{B6387AD4-48E1-4511-AA40-A245D4C401AE}\RP118\change.log.12 6 6 MB \System Volume Information\_restore{B6387AD4-48E1-4511-AA40-A245D4C401AE}\RP118\SNAPSHOT\_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI