This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

HDD Partition

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Using win xp sp3+all updates.HDD 250GB divided into C for WIN XP AND D for data. drive C is only 20GB while D is 230GB with about 130GB free. Is there any way I can increase the size of C by 25GB by taking it from D without disrupting anything? Please.
Thank you. I downloaded the demo version but there is no way to actually expand a drive by taking from another. When I did try to perform one task it said demo will not do buy and pay about 125$!!!! I do not have that kind of money for one task alone. Thank you for your time.

Thank you.
I downloaded the demo version but there is no way to actually expand a drive by taking from another.
When I did try to perform one task it said demo will not do buy and pay about 125$!!!!
I do not have that kind of money for one task alone.

Thank you for your time.


Nods a demo alone will not have all of it full functions, will post for other techs to see, mabey they know of one thats a trial that will work or a free version somewhere. Check back to see what inputs they may have.

Jimbo1
Hi wesi, There are a number of programmes that will do what you want to do, Some cost money whilst others are free.
Here is a link to a free one that will probably do the job for you. Do read all the information before you make a start
http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-parti…g-partition.htm

Before you commence do make sure that your back up is 100% accurate up to date reproducible and kept safe on removable media.
I recommend that you make a complete disc image, verify it and also keep it safe on removable media.

When rearranging partition sizes you will be operating at a fundamental level that goes to the very heart of your computer system . Nothing should go wrong….. but I have seen folks completely demolish their system by making a mistake using advanced tools like these….so that is why i emphasize the importamnce of "back up" and "disc imaging in full" before making a start. Nothing should go wrong but sometimes it does…so its better to be safe than sorry!
Good luck
Regards
paws

Hi wesi, There are a number of programmes that will do what you want to do, Some cost money whilst others are free.
Here is a link to a free one that will probably do the job for you. Do read all the information before you make a start
http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-parti…g-partition.htm

Before you commence do make sure that your back up is 100% accurate up to date reproducible and kept safe on removable media.
I recommend that you make a complete disc image, verify it and also keep it safe on removable media.

When rearranging partition sizes you will be operating at a fundamental level that goes to the very heart of your computer system . Nothing should go wrong….. but I have seen folks completely demolish their system by making a mistake using advanced tools like these….so that is why i emphasize the importamnce of "back up" and "disc imaging in full" before making a start. Nothing should go wrong but sometimes it does…so its better to be safe than sorry!
Good luck
Regards
paws


A Word of Caution here, Paws has pointed out a very good warnning here, before trying to resize a hard drive partition take these pecautions of backing up and make sure you have a good image of the current drive. Be sure to do this or have a good backup plan when using such programs.

Another tech submitted this program also

http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

Jimbo1
it happened without a hitch. Thank you gentlemen. Just one more question.You mention making an image of the disk. I have one hdd divided into c and e.For some reason my system assigned D to the cd drive. Can I make an image of C only? If so how? The data on E is already fully backed up to an external drive. Also should I take this question to another part of the forum?
Hi wesi,

it happened without a hitch

That's good to hear
Well done!
:thumbup:

Can I make an image of C only? If so how?


Yes, if you have (like a lot of folks your Windows and applications on C: and your data on the next available partition say d: Then when you come to make your image just select the C drive only as your image "source" there will be an option (usually!) to select either the whole of your hard drive (all partitions) or to select a particular partition (like your C drive) so just select the C:
Hope this helps
Regards
paws
Thank you,Paws. But what program should use to make the image? Win xp is on C. That is all I care to save because all data is secure outside of the pc.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI