Hardware
Wireless Networking completely disappeared
4 min read
DrunkenTso
Topic Starter
I was directed here by a Spybot forum security expert. They helped me purge my system of some viruses on my desktop but other issues arose in the process.
I have been connecting to the internet with the use of a Belkin G Mimo Plus wireless USB adapter. All I had to do was plug it in, run the setup (no disk was included) and it worked perfectly for months. Starting on Tuesday, after purging my system of the Virtumonde virus, my connection completely disappeared. My computer no longer recognizes the adapter (even after updating the firmware and software) and isn't even showing a 'wireless network connection' in the network connections window.
I was wondering if someone would be able to help me with regain my wireless connection capabilities again or direct to where I can find help.
Thank you,
Dan
tallin
Hi Dan,
Go to your Device Manager……here's how:
Here is a link to assist you setting up your Wireless Network that may help.
It would also be helpful for us if you post your Spybot forum security expert link when asking for assistance here.
Keep us informed on your progress.
kind regards,
Go to your Device Manager……here's how:
- My Computer
- Properties
- Hardware
- Device Manager
Here is a link to assist you setting up your Wireless Network that may help.
It would also be helpful for us if you post your Spybot forum security expert link when asking for assistance here.
Keep us informed on your progress.
kind regards,
DrunkenTso
Here is the link to the issue I was helped with by Spybot:Spybot Malware Forum
As for my device manager, there is a question mark next to "Other Devices" as well as a question mark with an exclamation point next to USB Device under that heading. This is where the wireless USB adapter would be.
As for my actaul wireless network, it is still up and running. It's just that my desktop no longer is offering me use of the USB adapter or even shows that I had a wireless connection previously. I have 2 other connections, an Ethernet NIC and a VPN adapter (this one I have not recognized before this issue started).
Thank you,
Dan
As for my device manager, there is a question mark next to "Other Devices" as well as a question mark with an exclamation point next to USB Device under that heading. This is where the wireless USB adapter would be.
As for my actaul wireless network, it is still up and running. It's just that my desktop no longer is offering me use of the USB adapter or even shows that I had a wireless connection previously. I have 2 other connections, an Ethernet NIC and a VPN adapter (this one I have not recognized before this issue started).
Thank you,
Dan
tallin
Hi Dan,
Thank you for posting the link to your HJT log.
I see in your log, post # 17
The only other suggestion would be to go to
Keep us updated how you go please.
kind regards,
Thank you for posting the link to your HJT log.
I see in your log, post # 17
I suggest you contact your ISP now you have a clean system to remove the restriction.The only exclamation mark is above a question mark for a USB device. This device is my wireless USB adapter, but it will not let me upgrade the driver or anything of that nature. The installer won't even work, since it needs an internet connection. As for my wired ethernet card, it would let me connect, but my ISP has restricted use to that computer due to 'virus detection'.
The only other suggestion would be to go to
- Device Manager
- Right Click on the "Other Devices" USB Device and note the options
- Post back with the information so we can help you further
- Update driver
- Update wizard will pop up to guide you to install
Keep us updated how you go please.
kind regards,
appleoddity
Can you provide the exact model # and revision (if applicable) of your USB wireless adapter?
Have you tried downloading the drivers from the maufacturer's website on a working PC and transferring it to the non-working PC via a flash drive?
It just sounds like you need drivers installed.
Artellos
Hello DrunkenTso, Tallin and appleoddity.
The steps below will help you remove the driver.
Regards,
Olrik
The only other suggestion would be to go to
In Device Manager, are you able to select the Driver tab next to the warning at all? You should have various options so please choose
- Device Manager
- Right Click on the "Other Devices" USB Device and note the options
- Post back with the information so we can help you further
- Update driver
- Update wizard will pop up to guide you to install
Additionally to what tallin said, you can try removing the drivers to make sure it won't cause any negative effects on your computer.All I had to do was plug it in, run the setup (no disk was included) and it worked perfectly for months.
The steps below will help you remove the driver.
- Go to Start and open Run.
- In the Box, type devmgmt.msc.
- Look for the USB Device with the exclamation mark next to it.
- Right click that device and select Un-install
Regards,
Olrik
DrunkenTso
Sorry I haven't been able to try your suggestions. I am currently out of town on business and won't be home till early next week. When I get home, I will try all the suggestion and and let you know how it goes.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI