All of a sudden my network icon in the taskbar started showing the small red "x" indicating I have lost my ethernet connection. I have seen this before and it usually indicated:
Comcast service was down or
My Commodo firewall had decided to do a winsock lock.
Now however, I still have my internet connection and am getting an error message on the icon "Connection status: Unkown. The service to detect this status is turned off"
What service do I need to turn on?
Thanks.
Is this Vista or XP? I see lots of hits for Vista but not much for XP.
For Vista, I found this:
Connection status: unknown
The service to detect this status is turned off.
The service Im referring to is Network List Service. It is responsible for identifying the networks to which the computer has connected.
If you want to go that far you can disable the service when you access services.msc
Thanks for the input. Sorry it's Vista Ultimate 64.
When I check on the Network List Service it says automatic but when I start it I get this message:
"The Network List Service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other Services or Programs"
I tried querying MS Support and Google with no luck.
You're welcome. Some day I hope to become familiar with the obtuse workings of Vista. For now though, I have to stay with my 4, 8 and 10 year old hardware running XP Pro.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI