This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Network Connections Suddenly Disappeared

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I have a perplexing problem. Computer (Toshiba Satellite laptop running XP Home SP2) was connecting through DSL wireless router with no issues as late as last night. Woke up this morning, and upon turning on the computer, the network connection had disappeared. When I tried to add it again, I got a message about the service being stopped. Can't seem to locate where to turn it back on (couldn't find it at msconfig), but also, the audio service seems to be stopped also. I know it's not a problem with the wireless router, because computer #2 is connecting to the internet just fine.. Any ideas? Thanks!
Hello dozinslosh,

Even although your Computer#2 is connected through the router and connected to the internet, I would suggest turning off the router, wait up to 20 seconds for settings to clear and turning it on again. This is a simple start to solving your problem and often works for many folk.

Is your internet connection icon still in the Quick Launch area near the clock? Another suggestion would be to right click on it and scroll to repair.

Let us know how it goes.

kind regards,

Problem solved…thanks!

We volunteers (as a team) would really like to know the fix that solved your problem. Could you post back with the details thanks. :)

kind regards,
powercycling as what you suggested did the "trick" i guess. ^_^ or maybe he figured out how to turn on wzc?hehe. anyway sure do hope he's gonna repost.

When I tried to add it again, I got a message about the service being stopped. Can't seem to locate where to turn it back on (couldn't find it at msconfig), but also, the audio service seems to be stopped also……Any ideas?
Thanks!

Likely the Radio was off.

9 times out of 10, if a Laptop's Wireless Network connection has disapeared, then the Radio is not on. There are several reasons this can happen. Recent Laptops have a [too] convenient button somewhere [side, front edt, above the F key row…] that will allow the user to tun on and off the radio manually. I have a user that calls me monthly at LEAST once because they can't connect…..and the radio is off.

Anther reason this can happen though no active fault of the user…..When coming out of stand-by or Hibernation, some devices, (like audio,) do not always get turned-back on properly [if a chronic issue is a driver or BIOS problem.] [a simple Restart will solve this kind of failure ] Additionally if in a very low battery situation, the system may turn-off the radio to conserve power.

Tallon41

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI