This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Two internet connection icons in taskbar

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

OK. First time trying to use on of these forums, please excuse any mistakes I make. Having to use my laptop to describe my kids computer problem(s) since it cannot connect to internet. Dell desktop, XP, SP2. Internet connection through Comcast cable modem. Running AVG. Approximately 3 weeks ago, a second internet connection icon appeared in the taskbar. After this, the "normal" icon showed continuous sending and receiving activity, but could not browse the net. The second icon showed no activity. Tried to disable 2nd icon. Would not allow it. When I disabled the "normal" icon, both icons would show no activity. In addition, when I tried to view the properties of the 2nd icon, it would not allow to do so. Like I said, I may be in the wrong area, but any help is very much appreciated. Thanks.
Hi there. Is it possible for you to get a screenshot? It may possibly be something simple. You see, if you were using Wireless, you'd get a connection icon and/or if you have a cable which you say you do, you'd get a LAN, local area network icon. If you go to your kids PC and click: Start, Connect To, Show All Connections What does it show? Does it say something like 'no connection'' ''firewalled''. Has the internet ever worked on the PC? With a screenshot and more information we could be onto something :)
Yes, this computer had no problem with accessing the internet before this "second" icon appeared. In the Network Connections folder, when I enable the LAN connection, it shows "Enabled, Firewalled". When this connection is enabled, a second LAN connection appears, with same description. But as I mentioned earlier, cannot see properties for this second connection. When I disable the normal LAN connection, the second LAN connection thumbnail disappears. Thanks.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI