This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

file sharing

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello My goal is to be at my laptop and be able to send a newly created file to an existing folder in the desktop. I do not know if this can be done with homegroups or file sharing but the name seems to imply it can be done. I am enbarrased to say that Ihave watched videos and read the helps but do not understand how to accomplish my goal. I have set up a homegroup with a password. I use the same pasword for each pc as only my wife and I are here. I have the homegroup established in both pcs and all the boxes like docs music etc checked. I have enabled file sharing and network discovery. I do not know how to initiate right clicking a file and sharing it as a read /write so I do not have to go to the desktop from the newly created file on the desktop and write what I have just entered in the laptop. Any steps appreciated Thank you
Hi GrampyPete, I wonder if you are perhaps mistaking what "file sharing" actually does? When you configure to allow specific machines and user accounts on your network to share files produced on the machine you are using, you are granting those others "access" or ability to navigate to and read or even read/write a file that exists on the machine you are using. File sharing does not send or "push" the file to other people's computer(s). The file remains resident on the machine where it was first produced. When it comes to "sending" a document, you can do so via email attachment, fax or paper copy. Otherwise, "sharing" occurs if you have put the file in your public Folder and/or have configured folders on your machine to be accessible by other machines. Someone sitting at one of those other machines may then be able to find and gain access to the allowed file. They can even decide to save it to their own machine if they decide to. There are more sophisticated methods available if your network has a Sharepoint Services Server machine.
I don't do things very "sophisticated" but here is what I do to accomplish what I believe you are trying to do.

If you have the two computers networked… they should be able to "see" each other… but you don't automatically share information between them.

If you are wanting to create the files on the laptop but save them on the desktop…
  • On the Desktop… create a folder that you want to use.
  • Using explorer… right click on the folder and select Sharing and Security
  • Check the little box next to Share this folder on the network
  • Give it a name
  • Click the little box next to Allow network users to change my files
  • Click Apply then OK to close
  • On your Laptop, click on My Computer
  • At the top of the page click Tools and then select Map Network drive
  • Click the Browse button
  • The list that opens may contain your desktop computer and the folder you just made there… if it does just click on it. If it doesn't, find your desktop and double click on it and then double click on the shared folder.
  • Put a check in the Reconnect at logon box
  • Click on finish.
If you look in My Computer now, you will see another drive listed, probably drive Z:. This is the folder you set up on your desktop. You should be able to read and write from it just as if it were physically on your laptop.. as long as the desktop is actually booted up.

Please note that I only have XP so some names may be different on other systems.
Homegroup only works between Windows 7 computers. It also doesn't allow you to share any drive or folder, only the "public" ones.
Hello I should have stated that both pcs are about the same in that they are Win 7 x 64 lap and desk. The videos seem to show that you enable file sharing and network discovery and what you want to share, i.e., documents. Doug, I now understand that you can only modify the file but not actually transfer it; I read it literally. That is still fine because I can go to Docs for example and modify a file or hopefully create a new one instead of using a flash drive to go from one pc to the other with information I want to be the same. Often I cannot leave a chair so this would be a means of mobility for me. I did not see that you need public sharing in the video as the person used home group to share libraries and files but correct me if I am wrong. I have mine set to homegroup and the passwords are the same however, it never asks me for them. perhaps only public asks for a password.. I have yet to grasp how I can sit at my laptop and access documents on the desktop so what I modify or create on the lap, especially in Documents, I can do on the desktop. I hope I am not thick about this and am close to a resolution, Thanx for the help all.
I may be missing something here, but you certainly can "push" a file from one computer to another. I do it all the time. If the target folder is setup to allow network users to change it then you can open it from the other computer and copy a file to it (push). With Windows 7, I always make sure any folder or drive (yes, I share entire drives) has an Everyone id and it is given Full Control. I push (copy to) and pull (copy from) all the time between my Win 7 and XP systems. I also have a program called Mirror Folder running on the Win 7 computer that does scheduled copies to the XP computer, and one folder that is setup as Software Raid so any change I make to it on the Win 7 computer is immediately reflected on the XP computer.
Z If you have the time, could you direct me? I have set the advanced homegroup to share files, yes to internet discovery, and have password as yes. I clicked on homegroup and it seems I am connected. What do youdo in terms of next steps? Do you open both pcs and actaully access the other like a file in documents that you can work with? Forexample, how do I ,at the laptop, acccess the desktop document and open and write on it? I have set to read and write? Hope you have the time but if not I will keep trying. Peter
Sorry, I have no experience with Homegroup as I have an XP and Win 7 computer. I use WORKGROUP. I have the same userid and password on both computers. I turn off Simple File Sharing on XP. I turn on Network Discovery and File and Printer sharing and Password Protected sharing in Windows 7 On Win 7 I make sure there is an Everyone defined for each item I want to share and give it Full control so I can read and write it.
I understand about the 2 pcs being different. Perhaps someone with 2 Win 7 pcs will join. Thank you anyway. I do notice the tutorials for 2 win 7 pcs shows things to be quite different than otherwise.
Mary I am confused by your email as the links seem not to refer to file sharing or homegroup. I am ederly and disabled and do not have the resiliency to do other 'things'. If you have specific information to help please let me know. Please explain the network and admin you refer to and also how the links pertain to my issue. Thank you Peter

Sorry Peter1,

That was a spammer with bad intentions.
I removed them.

Doug



Thank you, Doug. Have I inherited any problems from what happened?
Peter

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI