This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Turning External HDD On/Off with Computer

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to change my computer settings so that the external HDD turns on and off with my computer rather than having to manually turn it on and off. The External HDD i a Freecome II Classic SL 300GB and I'm using Windows XP Pro. Thanks, Sam
The external HDD won't start unless I switch it on with a small switch on the back of it. But I was wondering if there was a way to keep these switch permently in the on positiion and then have the external HDD power go on and off with the computer. Thanks, Sam
Just to clarify: if you shut down the computer with the drive powered on … then on restart it is not powered?

This would propose that the ON/OFF switch on the drive is reversible?

To do what you wish the drive would need to be always powered on even when the computer is off.

Are you saying turning off your computer turns off the hard drives' power?

Did you run the installation CD? Perhaps it requires its' own software.

Can not locate a manual; only this spec sheet:

http://www.freecom.com/objects/00006218.pdf
Hello, thank you for your response. No, what I mean is that currently the hard drive stays turned on when I shut down the computer. I then have to turn the hard drive off manually by its on/off switch. …and when I start the computer I also have to manually turn on the hard drive. I want the hard drive to turn on/off when the computer turns on/off so I don't have to turn the hard drive on/off seperately. Thanks, Sam

I want the hard drive to turn on/off when the computer turns on/off so I don't have to turn the hard drive on/off seperately.


No going to happen. Sorry.

Best I could suggest is same as what I have.

I have a podium style Surge Protector, that has switches for each outlet and one master switch.
After I have allowed my computer to go through the shut-down and turn off cycle, I can then turn off my Monitors, Printer and external HD with one Master Switch.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI