Alright,
I got a used Laptop for Christmas from a computer fair that sells used PC equipment from being previously owned at other corporations. It is a Dell Latitude D610 with wireless capability. Now, I'm totally new to laptops let alone it being wireless too and I'm not too sure how to set it up. So I went out and bought a wireless G USB network adapter. I don't want to open this up yet because it's not returnable if i open it. Some one was telling me i need to go with a particular service like verizon or something and get one of the small wireless adapter cards that I have to pay monthly for in order for it to work? Plus, when i turned on my laptop it says a wireless network was found and i need the right drivers for it. As you can see i'm totally lost with this, so any suggestions and advice to run me through this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Chris
Hi, If you still have the network adapter card unopened in its package and when you turned on your new lappy you received notification that a "wireless network was found" then this means that your lappy is already fitted with a network adapter and all you need to do is to highlight the message and click on connect.. If you have set up your router with encryption then you will be asked for the key/password just enter it (exactly) and hit enter and your laptop will connect to your router and to the Internet ( if the router is set up properly!).
If you have not got a wireless router then the network that you machine has locked on to is probably that of a neighbour and even if it is not secured with encryption you should not connect to it…..
Well I guess you were right and I have an built in wireless adapter. Apparently my cable modem service also has wireless too which was just brought to my attention. Seems when I try to refresh the local wireless networks i usually get one from netgear and 2Wire044? Both have security enabled and it asks for an encryption password which I have no idea how to get. Right now I'm trying to gain access, and I guess i have a third profile named linksys, says i have an excellent signal quality but the ip address is 0.0.0.0 and then goes out of range here and again, probably depending on where i am in the house i guess. For the most part I get the netgear and 2wire044 appear on my list of networks to choose from, and just now i got the linksys one again. I'm going to look on the link you sent me and see if i can learn a bit more. Otherwise my remaining question was, is it really necessary for me to keep the wireless G USB network adapter? I mean, will it be better connectivity as opposed to what i have or even a network card i insert directly to the laptop? Any other tips will help, thanks once again!!
Hi Yes, you don't need the USB network adapter ( unless the inbuilt one goes wrong!)
Have a look at your route and see what make it is ?
if its a 2wire then thats' the network you should attempt to connect to. likewise if your router is a Netgear or a Linksys….. only try to connect to your own router ( not someone else's!)
When you set up the encryption it's normal to make a note of the password/passkey and the type of encryption used…ie WEP or WPA…(WPA is more secure) So check out your computer file or where you keep all your confidential records and see if it's there.
If you can't remember the password or even how/where you kept the record of it, then you will need to reset the route back to default settings (tiny hole in the back/side of router) just large enough to admit an unbent paperclip…push and hold for 10 seconds or as directed by your router owners manual ,and this will reset the router to "factory" This will wipe out all your settings so be sure to download the owners set up manual from the manufacturer's website and study it carefully before you proceed. You will then need to set it up from scratch and do please remember to change the user/and password (if possible) on your router admin entry page (accessible via your web browser, usually from 192.168.0.1 or similar,( the router set up instructions will give exact details).
You should still be able to connect to the Internet by running a standard cat 5 (patch cable) from one of the switches/ports, usually to be found on the back of the router.
Good luck
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI