I have just purchased a Dell Latitude D610. I know it is an old laptop, but I didn't pay much for it. It came with a Cisco Aironet 350 external wireless card. I am guessing that the internal wireless card no longer works since the external card must be used for it to find my wireless connection. The problem I am having is that when I try to connect to my wireless router it gives the error message "your security settings for you adapter does not match the settings of the network". I am confused I have another old laptop a thinkpad t-42 and it connects without a pro blem. I set both computers network connections up the same way. Someone suggested that I change the router from WPA/WPA2 to WEP. When I do this the Dell with function properly for a short time. I am using a Belkin router. Should I buy a different external wireless card or should I buy another type of router. I think I have tried everything. Any suggestions?
Hi and welcome to the WTT forums, Sorry to hear of the problem with your Internet access.
"your security settings for you adapter does not match the settings of the network".
This error message usually means that either the password you are using is incorrect (passwords are case sensitive) or you have not set the identical encryption method on your computer as that set in your modem/router.
For example a WPA password will not work on WEP or even WPA2….. if you remove any encryption from your router for a short while, and if your Internet remains stable then you can focus again on setting the correct encryption method and password.
If your Internet remains unstable when there is no encryption then it indicates a problem usually with one or more of the following:
1 Your wireless network card/and or its drivers
2 Your modem/router/gateway/wireless Access Point/, the cabling
3 A line fault or filter (microfilter/splitter) error if you are connecting via ASDL
To zero in on the problem try the following:
4 Take your laptop to a chum's house and see if you can connect wirelessly to her/his, known good working router…..if you can connect OK and its a stable connection then its unlikely there is anything wrong with your Network adapter.
5 Ask a chum with a known good working laptop to visit your house and try their machine wirelessly on your router…
6 these checks are easy and simply to perform and more important won't cost you any money…
Let us know how you get on
Regards
paws
Also, try letting Windows XP manage your wireless network connection:
Open Services (Start then Run, type services.msc and press Enter)
Double click on Wireless Zero Configuration
Set Startup type to Automatic
Click the Start button to start the service
Click Apply then OK
Open Network Connections.
Right click on Wireless Network Connection, select Properties.
Click the Wireless Networks tab and check the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" box.
Click OK.
Shutdown and reboot to have this take effect.
Right click on the Wireless icon in the taskbar and select View available wireless networks. Selct yours, enter the encryption key and see if that works.
I followed the step the wireless config was already set to automatic and started so I stopped it and did a reboot, then I started the service again and did another reboot. The problem still exists.
Yeah I did steps 6,7,8, and 9. It doesnt make sense for it to go online when the security for the laptop is set to WEP and it wont when it is set to WPA.
We're missing something obvious here but I can't think what at the moment. I have a meeting to go to but I should be home by 9:30 or 10PM. I'll check in then.
Have you tried enabling the onboard wireless in CMOS Setup, see if it works? You may have better results with it than the Cisco. Worth a try at least.
What happened when you took your laptop to a chum's house?
What happened when your chum took her/his laptop to your house?
These are the really easy diagnostic steps you can take…
And will allow us to focus specifically on the areas likely to produce a result
Regards
paws
A friend brought her laptop here and it connected to my wireless connection with out any problems. I can get my dell to connect if I have WEP security settings just not if the security is set to WPA. I have not taken the dell to a friends house I have been working way too much.
I took my Dell laptop to an area that has public wi-fi access and it did not detect any wireless connections. I know this is an area with public wireless access because our church laptop can connect that way. It doesn't make sense that it will detect wireless here at home, but won't connect. Then it doesn't pick the wireless up at other places. Does this indicate that I need to replace the wireless card?