Greetings everyone…
Got the bright idea of installing an internal wireless card in my Dell Latitude C510. Shopped around on eBay, found one, and purchased it. The label on the outside says "Advance WMP-G09", and according to the retailer, it is compatible with the C510. Opened up the laptop, and installed it, rebooted. The laptop found the card, but could not find drivers.
I looked all over for drivers for the card and found nothing. Advance has taken all information about the card from their website.
In the course of looking around I found a site that I am pretty sure I had to translate where someone stated that Dell had set up the BIOS in their laptops to reject non-approved wireless network cards and it had to be overridden somehow, but of course, I didn't save the link and I only saw one reference to this…
I have tried several drivers from other sites, but no luck. If I check the BIOS, it shows the card in the MPCI slot as "unidentified" and there is no way of changing it. Anyone have any ideas?
Hi, I think it's possible that you have been mislead…. but you will need to check this thoroughly.
The drivers should be available from the retailer you purchased from via eBay…..
If she/he assured you that the card was compatible with your machine and it turns out to be not so, then you can lodge a complaint under ebay's special procedures.
Have a look here: http://www.upgrademaster.com/latitude-d410…ard-p31819.html
This looks like the sort of thing you should consider
Regards
paws
I've contacted the seller with my concerns (which I did prior to your reply). I am quite upset as the picture clearly shows a Intel card and I did not receive an Intel card…however, it does not specify in the body of the ad that all cards will be Intel cards, only that it is compatible with the C510 system, which clearly it has not been (otherwise I wouldn't be posting here!)
Lately I've been getting burned on eBay from tech sellers. I ordered a black bluetooth headset for my phone, was sent a gray one (even the invoice in the package says "Black"!). Ordered a charger for my Palm TX and got the wrong kind…should probably give up on eBay.
I do remember however an article about someone tweeking the BIOS so that an Advance card could be identified and work, but I have not been able to find that article since and of course I didn't book mark it. I also found a couple of sites in Europe where they said they have an Advance card in a dell laptop and finding drivers, etc, but no one left links on those discussion boards.
I am going to give it a couple of days with the sellers and see what happens.
Russ F.
The seller of the card sent me the follow link for Atheros and Advanced cards. My card in particular was a AR50XX series card. Downloaded the drivers and it works like a charm now.