This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Computer went completely out of whack!

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

[attachment removed]Hi, Since Christmas Eve night, I had no audio. I checked all the usual things . . . it wasn't on mute, it didn't have a yellow question mark in Device Manager, system sounds wouldn't play, etc. I uninstalled the driver and codec and reinstalled them, ran several anti-virus/trojan/malware programs, in Safe Mode and regular mode, but the scans came up with nothing. I also changed CSDVersion Value in the registry to 0. Very shortly after that, I went to an Update Driver site to see how up-to-date my drivers are and a number of them needed to be updated. I looked around the internet for updated drivers that the scan showed needed updating but I couldn't find any drivers that were more up-to-date than the ones I have. Immediately after that, my splash screen was back and I had set it to skip the splash screen in BIOS for years. Then my pc kept crashing. I could no longer get System Information and WMI wouldn't work even though I had it started and on automatic in Services. Very shortly after that, when I booted up again after a crash, I received a message that said that DOS couldn't be found (paraphrasing). I hit "any key" as prompted, and it booted to Windows. This morning, it wouldn't boot to Windows any longer so I did a Windows Repair a short while ago. Right after the Repair, I updated Avast and downloaded and installed about 40 Automatic Updates from MS. Since then, my settings keep changing. I installed IE7 and it was working fine for about an hour and then it reverted back to IE6. I uninstalled IE7 in Add/Remove Programs and reinstalled it but it's still IE6. I also keep receiving error messages from Microsoft (screenshot attached). They're all the same. They pop up when I open a folder, open a website, right after a roboot, and when I tried to reinstall IE7. I ran hijackthis and I'm attaching the log to this post. I hope you don't find anything but I almost hope you do so that my pc will be back to normal.
Part 2 I tried to attach a couple of screenshots that show how my settings keep changing. I saved the theme to My Documents, but when they changed again, I directed the browse to the theme file that was saved but received a message that said that "The theme could not load . . .". I've also wanted to attach a screenshot that shows that half of my theme works but other parts are Classic, plain gray style. Even program download boxes look like x32 boxes. Unfortunately, I ran out of attachment space. My computer doesn't crash anymore and it boots straight to Windows but these new problems are beyond my knowledge to fix. Everything I've tried hasn't worked. I hope you can help. Denise
Here's the HijackThis 2.0.2 report



Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 12:32:38 PM, on 12/26/2008
Platform: Windows 2003 SP2 (WinNT 5.02.3790)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16762)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\MY PROGRAMS\Security Programs\Avast\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\MY PROGRAMS\Security Programs\Avast\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Ahead\lib\NMBgMonitor.exe
C:\MY PROGRAMS\Security Programs\Avast\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxtor\OneTouch\utils\Onetouch.exe
C:\MY PROGRAMS\Computer Programs\Webshots\Webshots.scr
C:\MY PROGRAMS\Security Programs\Avast\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\MY PROGRAMS\Security Programs\Avast\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?&.src=ym
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MaxtorOneTouch] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxtor\OneTouch\utils\Onetouch.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [amd_dc_opt] C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\Dual-Core Optimizer\amd_dc_opt.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Ahead\lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Advanced SystemCare 3] "C:\MY PROGRAMS\Computer Programs\Advanced SystemCare 3\AWC.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [avast!] C:\MY PROGRAMS\Security Programs\Avast\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [tscuninstall] %systemroot%\system32\tscupgrd.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [tscuninstall] %systemroot%\system32\tscupgrd.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [tscuninstall] %systemroot%\system32\tscupgrd.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [tscuninstall] %systemroot%\system32\tscupgrd.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = C:\MY PROGRAMS\Computer Programs\Webshots\Launcher.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~2\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~2\Microsoft Office\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - ESC Trusted Zone: http://runonce.msn.com
O16 - DPF: {0742B9EF-8C83-41CA-BFBA-830A59E23533} (Microsoft Data Collection Control) - https://support.microsoft.com/OAS/ActiveX/MSDcode.cab
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/PCPitStop.CAB
O16 - DPF: {1842B0EE-B597-11D4-8997-00104BD12D94} (iCC Class) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/pcpConnCheck.cab
O16 - DPF: {1E54D648-B804-468d-BC78-4AFFED8E262E} (System Requirements Lab) - http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownlo…/sysreqlab3.cab
O16 - DPF: {5AE58FCF-6F6A-49B2-B064-02492C66E3F4} (MUCatalogWebControl Class) - http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/sit…b?1228587653500
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftu…b?1225067556453
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftu…b?1225067549828
O16 - DPF: {74DBCB52-F298-4110-951D-AD2FF67BC8AB} (NVIDIA Smart Scan) - http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownlo…iaSmartScan.cab
O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} (Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0) - http://dl8-cdn-03.sun.com/s/ESD5/JSCDL/jdk…ows-i586-jc.cab
O16 - DPF: {9732FB42-C321-11D1-836F-00A0C993F125} (mhLabel Class) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/mhLbl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BB21F850-63F4-4EC9-BF9D-565BD30C9AE9} (a-squared Scanner) - http://ax.emsisoft.com/asquared.cab
O16 - DPF: {BDBDE413-7B1C-4C68-A8FF-C5B2B4090876} (F-Secure Online Scanner 3.3) - http://support.f-secure.com/ols/fscax.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shoc…ash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {FFB3A759-98B1-446F-BDA9-909C6EB18CC7} (PCPitstop Exam) - http://utilities.pcpitstop.com/Optimize2/pcpitstop2.dll
O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\MY PROGRAMS\Security Programs\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.DLL
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\MY PROGRAMS\Security Programs\Avast\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\MY PROGRAMS\Security Programs\Avast\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\MY PROGRAMS\Security Programs\Avast\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\MY PROGRAMS\Security Programs\Avast\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\dmadmin.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Event Log (Eventlog) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: HTTP SSL (HTTPFilter) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service (ImapiService) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\imapi.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Net Logon (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc64.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Plug and Play (PlugPlay) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: IPSEC Services (PolicyAgent) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Protected Storage (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Remote Desktop Help Session Manager (RDSessMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\sessmgr.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Security Accounts Manager (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Virtual Disk Service (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: WMI Performance Adapter (WmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe (file missing)
–
End of file - 7914 bytes



This morning, when I turned on my pc, IE7 was back again.



I hope you all had a Very Merry Chrismtas!
My computer was having a lot of problems, even after the Repair, so I decided to format it. I put the disk in, chose to boot from CD, chose Format, and it stopped midway. I waited about 5 minutes and when it didn't do anything, I pressed reset. When I started up, it went straight to my original desktop. I went into BIOS and chose the DVD-Rom drive as the first in boot sequence and saved it, it rebooted and again it went straight to my desktop. I looked in My Computer and my DVD-ROM drive wasn't listed. I looked in Device Manager and it wasn't listed there either. I didn't get a software disk with the drive. I have a BenQ DW1655. Using my daughter's computer, I went to several BenQ sites that offer firmware updates but I can't find the original BCGB firmware that I need. Does anyone know where I can find it? Please hurry with an answer if you can.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI