This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

[Server 2003] Defragging

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am wondering how to defrag on a Windows Server 2003 Standard OS.

I was told to C:> defrag.exe

but I dont have Defrag.exe

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
© Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Michael>cd C:\

C:\>defrag.exe
'defrag.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\>


Help appriciated.
There are also commercial utilities like Diskeeper that defrag servers if you want the best defrag results with full automation. I am not familiar with the server versions personally, but I am using the desktop trial version of the Diskeeper 2009 Pro, and it's very good. Essentially, install and forget software.

ShadowStorm, I'm very sorry to hear that. I've used it many times on quite a few different system but they all ran XP Pro or XP Home, never Server 2003.

I posted your problem in the Defraggler forum: http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=19442

Maybe someone can explain what happened.


Thank you very much for that. I am going to try to run it again, as right now, I am on the verge of restoring.

I have a Trojan.Vundo.H that I have no idea where it came from, and it wont go away.

I want to smash my computer =[

ShadowStorm, I'm very sorry to hear that. I've used it many times on quite a few different system but they all ran XP Pro or XP Home, never Server 2003.

I posted your problem in the Defraggler forum: http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=19442

Maybe someone can explain what happened.


Thank you very much for that. I am going to try to run it again, as right now, I am on the verge of restoring.

I have a Trojan.Vundo.H that I have no idea where it came from, and it wont go away.

I want to smash my computer =[



Is this a home based server or hosted server? If it is home based you need to remove the malware and other infected items first before you start the defrag. If it is a hosted server I would contact your host and have them clean the infection and run the defrag. Server Intellect (my server hosting company) is managed so I just contact them for stuff like malware scans and removal. Defraggle as suggested before is also a great and simple tool. But get your infections under controll and install some virus and malware protection!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI