This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Alternative defragmenter

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Is there a viable and free defragmenter to replace the windows one, I have recently cleaned out my pictures folders and deleted around 11GB, now when I try to defragment it looks like it is going to take hours. I could let it run all night but prefer not to. thanks
there are 2 to choose from, well that most would suggest anyway, but there are plenty more I'm sure, personally I use IObit Smart Defrag 2, it will defrag on boot every 7 days, and can have set defrag times set up, BUT, this tool adds other applications into it's installer, so you really need to be alert, and uncheck the options that are nothing to do with the defrag tool, one part you need to click Decline to opt out of an unwanted tool, and other parts require action to remove that item from installing, but when you get the one you need to decline, it does not stop the normal install that your after, only the add on bundled into this, crying shame they haver gone down this road, they used to be better than that.

Now I think the one the majority will say is Auslogics Disk Defrag Free, very good at what it does, but you have to manually run it, at least the last time I used it, but many highly rate it, but you can't go wrong with this one, the other one takes a lot of attention these days to keep unwanted crud out, hope this helps.
Hi scudo,

just an extra word of advice, if you are using a SSD as a hard drive, then its best not to try and do any defragging at all….(OK for a conventional hard drives…but not SSD)

Regards

paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI