Hello and thanks in advance for any responses and assistance. I am experiencing issues with Vista Home Premium 64 bit. When I try to download a file or program I get the following error message:
"Error opening file for writing". Below the error message is the path I assume the download is trying to access. For instance, in one case while trying to download a CD/DVD burning software the path below the error message is: C:Program Files (x86)\Burn4Free\Burn4Free.exe.
I have been having these issues for several weeks but today, in the process of trying to unzip MemTest, when I tried to download a Zip program I ran into these same error issues and again with the CD/DVD burning software. I am the only user of the computer and do have myself set up as Administrator. Also, I tried to install the software using Google's Chrome browser with the same results. Thanks.
PS: I just tried to download an update for my OpenDNS software and got the same blasted error box: "Error opening file for writing". This is becoming very aggravating as this is not some new software I am trying to download and install, I can't even update existing software.
If you already have this setting OFF, then it's a problem more complex for me - sorry, but one of the Tech Experts should be along shortly to help you out.
Thanks for the reply Cat but no, the UAC is one of the first things I disabled. Just like today when I ran Ccleaner and was advised it has a newer version, I tried to download, got the cursed "Error opening file for writing" message. I have had this software for well over a year but now cannot update it!
I found this today in WXPNEW 17th Decmber 2008 edition. I have had no experience with it, but thought it maybe a help to your problem.
best regards,
Can't update or install new programs
QUESTION:
Help! I'm running XP and I never had this problem until recently. Now when I try to install updates or some other programs, I get a message that says "The Windows install service could not be accessed." Can you tell me how to fix this? Thanks! - Jim K.
ANSWER:
It sounds as if something happened that damaged or corrupted the installer service files. The installer service is used, as its name implies, to install programs. Try re-registering the service. Here's how:
Be sure you're logged on with an administrative account.
Click Start | Run.
In the Open box, type cmd. Click OK.
In the command window, at the prompt, type msiexec.exe /unregister and press ENTER.
Type msiexec /regserver and press ENTER. Next, you need to give the SYSTEM account full control permissions to the registry hive HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. Back up the registry first. You can go here to find out how:
http://www.wxpnews.com/H958GL/081216-Registry-Restore
Open your registry editor and navigate to the following key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
Click Edit | Permissions
In the Group Or User Names list, check to see whether SYSTEM is listed. If not, click Add.
Ensure that the "From this location" box shows the local computer name.
Type system in the "Enter the object names to select" field, click "Check Names," then click OK.
In the "Group or User Names" list, click SYSTEM.
Check the Full Control check box under Allow.
Click Apply, then OK.
Close the registry editor and restart the computer.
If this doesn't work, you may need to do a repair of Windows XP (in-place reinstallation). Here are instructions on how to do that:
http://www.wxpnews.com/H958GL/081216-In-Place-Upgrade
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. However, it now seems my entire OS is borked. Besides not being able to update programs, I can now not run the Back-Up function, operate the Media Player properly or even use the Vista disc. I was going to first try to run a "repair" from the disc and if all else failed just do a whole friggin new install. But, my luck such as it is, the disc will not even get that far before Windows pops up another error box, something about an unexpected error and to try again which of course trying again only pops up the same error box. Anyways, I have spoken with my computer shop bud and they will get it figured out for me on Monday. Thanks again.
Havoc,
Very sorry you need to go to the IT shop, but often it is very difficult without a hands on approach. Please get a quote first as often that makes all the difference with the final figure you will be charged in the end. I guess your computer does not happen to be under warranty by any chance?
Keep us posted how you get on and we would be most interested in what your problem turns out to be.
Kind regards,
Hello Tallin. Just dropping back by per your request for an update. My computer bud was able to get Vista re installed and that seemed to solve a whole host of issues. Everything is working as it should now, except…….. heavy sigh, the computer is still freezing randomly. Before, and I did not mention this in my original post, the computer was freezing randomly no matter what I may be doing, gaming, Ituning, surfing or just sitting at the friggin desk top doing nothing. It seemed to be ram related and that was what led me to post here. I was trying to install software to unzip and burn to CD MemTest to run and see if the ram was the problem . Obviously I never got that far since I could not install the programs.
But, like I said above, a large junk of my problems were apparently due to a registry corruption of unknown origin. I run a pretty safe computer with Avira, 3 spyware apps, a hardware and software firewall so I am confident it was nothing I contracted on the net. In either event, the fresh install really solved a lot of the issues. The freezing I am currently experiencing seems to be related to gaming only. I can only play WarHammmer On Line for instance for about 20-30 minutes before it will simply freeze up. No sound loop, ctrl-alt-delete will not work, have to press reset button to get the computer back up and running. It will also freeze in single player mode of Hellgate. Video card?, maybe but I am skeptical because it is a brand new Evga 9800GTX+ with the latest driver. I have tried reinstalling the driver and used Driver Sweeper as well as reinstalling the games, same results. Heat?, again doubtful, my Raidmax case has a 120 mm and 4 80 mm fans, the cpu, a C2D 6600, has a ZeroTherm beast of a heatsink/fan.
I expect it is hardware related since it is affecting 2 seperate games but just not sure what it is or how to go about pinning it down. Not really ready to start swapping out components until I finally fix it, just can't afford that. The computer runs great otherwise for hours on end. I have run a Burn In stress test multiple times followed by a 3D Mark '06, then a virus scan, all 3 spyware scans and on and on and no freeze ups, just while gaming. And this is of course primarily what I use the machine for so it is quite aggravating to only be able to use it for mundane tasks and not for what I built it for. Anyways, sorry for the book, we will continue to search out the problem and I'll let you know if/when we get it licked.
I suspect your RAM capacity at this stage, please go to this link and download and run SysSpec.exe. click on the Memory tab at the top left and let us know what RAM you are running.
If this issue was evident while your computer was in the IT shop, what was your techies explanation for it?
I am not a gamer, but I read that they do take a capable CPU and plenty of RAM. to function well.
Hi Tallin. Thanks for the suggestion but, in this case, we have already established the ram is not the issue. I have several sets of ram and the games are freezing no matter which pair I run. The ram currntly in place is two 2 gig sticks of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 6400. It is my newest set, the set I initially suspected was kinda buggy from day 1, a 4 gig pair from OCZ DDR2 6400 which I upgraded to after I installed Vista Home Premium 64 bit. As a test I have also tried my oldest pair of 2 gig Corsair XMS2. All 3 sets are freezing so we are of the opinion it is not the ram. The tech was a bit baffled to, a stress test pre boot showed a cpu error but post boot no error. Memtest said there was a ram flaw when all 4 gigs were installed but no errors when running one 2 gig stick, both sticks passed multiple runs so heck if I know.
I had a freeze up today while trying to game and the Windows error that came back said it involved a CMOS Checksum error. Thats a new one so not sure what it means. All things considered, I am leaning towards a motherboard issue but thats just another stab in the dark at this point. I have no idea how to determine if the board is going bad other than swapping out with another board and thats one piece of hardware I don't have an extra of laying around .
Hi Havoc,
This has gone on too long for you, I am out of ideas, so I will post this link in a private forum we have so more experienced Team Members can be alerted and maybe offer advice to you…….volunteers like Ztruker who did contribute earlier in the thread.
Have patience, it is Sunday here, Saturday evening over your way, so many will be out for the evening.
Sorry I could not be of more help to you.
kind regards,
Havoc, are you over clocking your CPU or FSB? What you describe is a classic case of over heating, either the CPU or the Video card.
Make very sure all the fans are spinning. Give SpeedFan, see if it tells you anything.
If the computer is fairly new, is it still under warranty? If so, return it for service and let the manufacturer figure out what is wrong. Save any personal data before doing so as they will surely reformat your drive.
I have a very poor opinion of 64 bit operating systems at this point. I do believe it has improved some in Vista, and I run a 64-bit server 2008 box without any problems, but 64-bit has always proven to be a difficult and unstable operating system to maintain in my experience. Its possible that some of your problems are due to buggy 64-bit drivers, or incorrect drivers.
Problems like your "fail to write to the following location" errors are typical because of the "hacking" Microsoft did to make 32-bit applications run under a 64-bit operating system. Add to that the numerous problems with Vista's new "security" features and you have a stew of problems. I hate to say that you probably would've been a lot better off with a 32 bit version of Vista.
The first suggestion I would offer at this point is to download the newest version of all your drivers and install them (even if you already have that version). Make sure they are all 64-bit versions, and make sure you include everything, especially your motherboard chipset drivers, video driver, and sound driver. If you have trouble locating 64-bit drivers for any of your hardware you should post back here because that could potentially be your problem. Good luck.
EDIT: I see you have used something called Driver Sweeper. I am not familiar with this software and I may be wrong in saying this, but if I was working on this PC I wouldn't trust some third party app. to tell me what drivers I need. I would go direct to the horses mouth and download the drivers right from the manufacturer, knowing for a certainty I am getting waht I am supposed to have.
Tallin, no need to apologize, I appreciate all the help no matter the outcome.
Ztruker, no oc'ing. Overheating was my thought as well despite the abundance of fans in my case. But, like I said above, if heat was an issue why would it not freeze up while running multiple burn-in stress tests followed by 3D'06 followed by full virus and spyware scans? No warranty in effect, the machine is a custom build over the past 2 years or so. I'll look into Speed Fan, have used it before but found the interface a bit confusing. I may also see if Nvidia has a tool suitable for the 590 chipset to perhaps boost the fan on the vid card.
Appleoddity, I understand your opinion on 64 bit. Not that it matters much now but I was just fine with 32bit XP until Age of Conan was released. My gaming buds and I were commited to play and it was one of the first ground-up games designed for DX10. I really wanted to immerse myself in the game so gotta have Vista for DX10 and, a DX10 vid card and, while at it, why not 4 gigs of ram to absorb all the data from not only the game but also for what Vista requires? I chose 64 bit because the general consensus was that cpu's were for the most part 64 bit anymore and although 64 bit XP was a disaster, the SP1 for Vista was to be released soon and there was a carp** load more support and drivers for 64 bit than ever before and, to properly recognize the 4 gigs of ram……, you see where I'm going. I will try the reinstall drivers suggestion once again, I have already done that for both the sound card and the vid card but not the chipset, who knows, maybe thats the problem. Regarding Driver Sweeper, that is a cleaning tool very similar to Driver Cleaner. Here is a link, http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
It just provides a more thorough removal process to try to keep remnants from old drivers from conflicting with newer versions.
Something else I just realized regarding the motherboard, in bios, when I change from Auto Tuning to Manual, I should then be able to access the fsb and cpu clock to step up and overclock etc. I checked this out of curiosity after Ztruker asked about it. When I set to Manual, for some reason I cannot access the settings to change the fsb or cpu, those settings remain greyed out. This coupled with the odd error yesterday about the CMOS Checksum make me wonder if flashing the bios may be something to try.
*EDIT* Found new driver versions from Nvidia for both the chipset and vid card. Uninstalled, booted to Safe Mode, removed remnants with Driver Sweeper, re booted and installed the new drivers, same results. Everything works dandy and my 3D'06 score even went about about 300 points but, the computer still freezes randomly while gaming anywhere from 2 - 30 minutes in-game. Have to hit reset to get computer back up and to desktop.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI