So I've been pretty lazy with installing all my programs from XP on my new Windows 7 machine (Win 7 Pro 64bit), and finally got around (through necessity) to installing 7-zip. At first I had problems with context menus not appearing, but that was resolved when I realized I'd installed the 32 bit version instead of 64 bit.
It can read files, but that's about it. Everything else I get an error message saying "The requested operation requires elevation.", and then a file path showing which executable it's referring to. This occurs for 7xFM.exe and 7zG.exe. I've set them to always run as administrator, and even launching the file manager by right clicking and selecting "Run as administrator" fails to produce any results. As it is, I can't use it to create any files, add to files, or just about anything other than read, and sometimes extract from compressed archives.
I've done searches to try to find solutions and all I could come up with was to run it as administrator… which I'm already doing. I've edited the security settings to have full control, and I've set to run as admin in compatibility settings as well. So every time it launches it should have admin rights.. I'm not sure how it could get elevated beyond that. I had to download the shareware/nagware free version of Winrar for the time being. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd be most appreciative.
Followed the instructions to take ownership of the folder and all of its contents. It was previously set to SYSTEM. I also set permissions to full control for all accounts for the folder and all its files. It didn't fix the problem. I still get "The requested operation requires elevation." error.
EDIT:
I also just uninstalled and reinstalled. The 64bit version is a .msi file, with no option to specifically run as administrator, or to otherwise elevate the installers permissions. I installed to D:/Program Files/7-Zip/ so it's on a different drive from my windows installation. I've also tried it in the default directory.
Brief update.
Some searches turned up the suggestion of running the .msi installer as admin by launching a cmd prompt as admin and using the msiexec /a command. However it just reported encountering an error. I uninstalled, moved the installer to my D: drive, set ownership, double checked permissions so all had full control, and installed. It can now create archives via the file manager (which does launch as admin as I've set it), but nothing works using context menus. Some of the context menu options result in absolutely nothing happening…. just the context menu going away, while others bring up those same old boxes requesting elevation.
Some searching on google comes up with a few instances of this problem, but none that have a solution (that worked for the poster).
Try this.
Uninstall 7-Zip.
Disable UAC via msconfig / tools tab.
Install 7-Zip.
Test, see if it works. If okay, enable UAC or not, you choice. UAC is one of the first things I disable in Vista or Windows 7.
Test, see if it works. If okay, enable UAC or not, you choice. UAC is one of the first things I disable in Vista or Windows 7.
Well, with UAC turned off, and having reinstalled, everything worked fine. Right click context menus launched the program is it should and it compressed the files. I turned UAC back on…. and it doesn't work anymore.
For some reason UAC isn't playing nice. I'm not sure why it's saying those programs need elevation when they're set to run as admin. I'd rather not have to leave UAC disabled since I'm not the only person that uses this machine.